Tuesday, September 3, 2024

Horseshoe Bend

Sign at trailhead

Years and years ago, I came to this trailhead to hike along the Nooksack River to Horseshoe Bend. Since that time, the original trail, which was shorter, has fallen into the river and a new one built in the same general vicinity. Today, seventeen Happy Wanderers Senior Trailblazers carpooled from the Senior Cdenter up the Mt Baker Highway to this new parking area. It leads us to the new trailhead.

Cindy, today's leader

We started out along the Nooksack on a very well-maintained trail that took us 2.5 miles to a beach where we could have lunch. At first it was easy going, but a bit farther up the trail we encountered steep slopes and a bit of slipperiness. It didn't last long, but I managed to take a spill without injuring myself, fortunately.

Our lunch spot

The water was an interesting color, a little blue-green from the silt that comes from glaciers, I suspect. It was quite a nice little spot for us to rest and have our lunch. Nobody was in a hurry, and since it was still quite early, we spent some time enjoying the mild temperature and the little beach.

Another scene of the beach and Nooksack water

And then, as all things must end eventually, we packed up and headed back the way we had come. It was a little easier on the return, since most of the elevation gain (not much, really, maybe 200 feet) was less slippery on the return. It seemed much too quick a return.

Amazing roots running across this old stump

Never having been on this particular trail before, I was so happy to have found a short but interesting hike to visit in subsequent trips up the highway. And it is a delightful way to be out in the wilderness without going too far afield.

Pretty little mushroom village

I really enjoyed today's outing, and getting to experience a brand-new (to me) trip up the Nooksack to the beach. I would have liked it to be a little longer, but here I am, home and feeling quite rested even after today's adventure.

Huckleberries

Thanks to Thanh, who picked lots of huckleberries for us to enjoy, I learned about these pretty red ones, a little tart and a little sweet, but just delightful. This is only the little bit I hadn't yet eaten. 

Interesting tree and roots

It was another fine trip with my newest group. Many of them will be heading back up to the wilderness on Thursday, but I think I'll skip it, since it's supposed to get hot again and the hike is in full sun. My old bones will find something close by to get my daily exercise, but I'll be interested in how they all do. It is so great to have so much close by to enjoy, so I won't be sitting at home but out and about amongst my local haunts.

:-)

10 comments:

  1. A new to you trail is the exception these days, Jan. I am glad you were not injured in the fall. Enjoy the rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, glad you weren't hurt in the tumble!
    Looks like it was a beautiful day for a new hike. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pleasant trail and hike. All hikes don't have to challenge us to the max.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you didn't hurt yourself - and thrilled (and a little surprised) that you found a new trail to enjoy. I don't think I have ever had huckleberries. I wonder whether we have them here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems pretty suitable for you, despite the tumble.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice outing, glad you were not hurt in the tumble, hope you are feeling okay today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never tasted huckleberries, as they might not grow in Hawaii. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. DJan, Thanks for taking us along on another interesting hike with seventeen Happy Wanderers Senior Trailblazers. I love that name … Happy Wanderers. 😊 What an amazing picture of the tree and roots. Wishing you a happy day! John

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've only ever seen blue huckleberries so I had to look them up. They're more tart so people prefer the blue ones according to what I read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like trails along a river. This looks like a good one.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.