Thursday, December 28, 2023

Alger Alp

Senior Trailblazers at Squires Lake

Today I joined Group 1, my old stomping grounds, for a hike up to Alger Alp from the Squires Lake starting point. I hadn't been with this group since the pandemic, and it was a lovely reunion for me to see my old friend Al once more. Also, I accidentally cut off everything in this picture but the shoulder of my old friend Kirk (sorry!). There is a real problem with trying to take pictures with failing eyesight, as I'm learning. I took two pictures, but in the other one, I completely cut off Cindy on the right, so I'm sticking with this one.

Leaving Squires Lake behind

We followed Al as he led us on several trails until we reached the ridge, which leads to this park boundary and the beginning of the Pacific Northwest Trail. This we followed until we reached the uphill logging roads. At about this time, it began to sprinkle. I would not call it rain, but just a little bit of spitting.

Al and Edward, in the lead

We followed the signs and Al's GPS, only taking one wrong turn, and Al quickly set us on the right path, which would take us to our destination, Alger Alp. 

Looking out at I-5 and the distant mountains

By the time we got here, it was too early for lunch, so we meandered around the area for awhile, taking in the view and having a quick snack, but not yet lunch.

Cindy looking pretty

It wasn't the best day for pictures, since the skies never cleared, and even gave us some more sprinkles, but it never turned into real rain. We Pacific Northwesterners know what that's like, and we never got anything more than a little teaser.

Squires Lake

This is where we finally stopped for lunch, and gazed out at the sprinkles that dotted the lake. We covered almost six miles and more than 1,300 feet up and down. I got to chat with several of the hikers and enjoyed so much being with this group once again. Many of the hikers are beginning to jump between groups, depending on the hike, rather than sticking all together like we did for many years. Today I didn't join Group 2 because I had an appointment at 2:30 and was pretty sure I'd be able to make it if I went on this shorter hike.

And sure enough, I not only had enough time, I also spent almost an hour in the gym at the Senior Center doing some upper body exercises. And now here I am writing this post, feeling quite good, with a spiffy new haircut, as well! Life is good.

:-)

12 comments:

  1. Some of these photos are positively serene. I swear DJan, I can't keep up with your active lifestyle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another hike in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. Thanks, Jan, for sharing! John

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had a busy, but it sounds like a lovely day. And hooray for reconnecting - and spiffy haircuts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll bet you feel great just getting back with the more challenging group.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything looks splendid. The pictures you took are good despite your failing eyesight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You make me want to exercise with your commitment and attitude. I do notice my feet don't step as high and am more prone to tripping over the slightest changes in topography. The only exercise I get is yard work (weeding and trimming trees) and an occasional bout on my Zaaz machine that gathers more dust than it deserves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! One thing after another! A full day and a good day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are totally amazing! I need to exercise and get moving again. I wish my knee would heal so I could get walking again. Have a very Happy New Year celebration, DJan!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great hike, I bet it was fun to see some of your old hikers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good to see old friends again as well as all the other things you managed to fit into the day.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.