Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Three centuries later

A bit cumbersome

I am pretty sure that my mild hearing loss would not have caused me to resort to such a contraption as this one I snagged off the internet. In the 17th century, someone decided to try to create a device that would amplify sound. Of course, all it does is take a larger area of sound that is then compressed down to fit over the ear. You can get the same effect by cupping your palm around your ear or ears to make sounds a little louder. Not to mention this device is quite heavy and probably didn't do much to help one hear. But if you're really deaf, any little amplification would help.

Today's much better version

This is a picture of a Receiver-in-canal (RIC) hearing aid, which is what I have. When I returned from my last visit to Florida, and being chastised for trying to keep conversations going and missing much of the words, well, the first thing I did was get my hearing checked. Yep, missing a lot of the high-frequency sounds, which is pretty normal for someone of my advancing age. My Medicare Advantage provider sent me to get a set of hearing aids, and although I didn't get to choose the type or price, I was given a set by an audiologist that looks much like this picture. There is a part of the device that sits behind the ear and gives me control of rejecting or receiving a phone call.

It took me awhile to get used to inserting them properly, and then to learning how to use them. They are linked by Bluetooth to my iPhone, and I ended up paying around $2,000 for both, along with extra amount for a charger, rather than using batteries. I am so glad I did the whole thing, and my insurance covered the majority of the cost, leaving me with that final number. I paid them off a few months ago, and I also have two years of maintenance covered with my audiologist. She has already cleaned them for me once, and of course she set them up so that I can get the best hearing out of them. Everyone's hearing loss is a little different, and I seem to be harder of hearing out of my left ear. I only know this because when I take them out in the evening and put them in the charger, everything sounds much quieter, with the left ear allowing me to notice my hearing loss.

There are only two times during daily activities that I take them out: one, when I am getting a massage I don't want them to get in the way, and two, when I take a bath or shower. They don't like water, but so far they haven't shown any problems with the little bit they get wet when I'm out in the rain. I am careful to wear a rain hat or whatever I need to keep them from the worst of the rain.

I am mostly unaware of them, but I do know they have made my family members and coffee shop companions stop mumbling all the time! And I remember when I first heard birdsong again. Now I am used to them, and I would definitely recommend anyone of a certain age to get your hearing checked. It's worth it. And I do know there are cheaper ones out there, but I don't know anything about them. Perhaps some of my readers do, and are willing to share. I am happy to have them, and to receive my phone calls inside my ear, rather than out there... 

Life is good.

:-)

15 comments:

  1. We have many friends who have gotten hearing aides and it's made a world of difference. Time is coming when Terry and I will have to do likewise. I can still hear well enough, but I can no longer track three conversations at once like I could just a few years ago. Terry's hearing definitely needs a boost so we have been talking about this quite a lot around here. I'm even considering a Costco membership as we have friends who got their hearing aids there for a reasonable cost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very happy for you. Deafness runs in the family for himself and it is past time that he got his hearing checked and adjusted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My MIL has them but doesn’t often use them. The rechargeable ones she bought recently may help. She wouldn’t buy the batteries as often as needed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will get fitted with my new hearing aids on the 19th. After some miscommunication about insurance coverage, I was able to reclaim my appointments and get them before Christmas. I will pay $2400 out of pocket for them. I opted not to get the recharables for various reasons. I am looking forward to better hearing. My old ones are just not very effective anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband says I need them, but that is because he mumbles and talks to me when I am in a different room:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is funny. The same thing happens here.

      Delete
  6. Hearing aids don't solve everything. They pick up much noise so that the speech you're trying to hear is a challenge. I find that it's a constant worry to keep them in the ear. Some people I hear just fine. Unfortunately I find the Micro Manager hard to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did take one into the shower the other day, but I realized it immediately, and no damage was done. I was worried though.

    My hearing is sooo bad that I would have required a megaphone larger than that back then.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My friends and family have been telling me this last year that I need to start checking into hearing aids. I know this... as I'm getting tired of asking people to repeat what they said... (especially at the doctor's). So I did sign up for a class at the Senior Center called "Advances in hearing technology". This is my first step...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been advised after a hearing test to that I'm not quite bad enough for a hearing aid just yet but I must use a fine oil spray to keep my ears clear of wax which seems to develop very quickly in my ears.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am glad your hearing aids help you follow conversations better. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My 103 year old artist friend has gotten rather deaf and has tried hearing aids but didn't like them. She doesn't have a smart phone and rather just live without one. We end up speaking loudly close to her ear and she doesn't hear others trying to converse with her, but she is happy anyway. Sometimes it is a blessing when you don't have to listen to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know I need them but can't really afford them. I'll have to look into the new cheaper varieties I would imagine in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My husband was drafted into the Army back in the 1960's. The VA has provided great hearing aids. This is a great benefit all you vets should look into.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Art has had hearing aids for quite a while now and is very grateful for them. He does use batteries though. I really think he should be upgrading soon. I'm so glad you got a pair you like and that it's working so well for you. It's awesome that Medicare Advantage covered a lot of the cost for you.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.