Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Fairhaven to Chuckanut Falls

On the trail

 Today, known as Boxing Day in Canada (the day after Christmas), 15 Senior Trailblazers set out from Fairhaven Park to Chuckanut Falls and returned. Three turned back fairly soon, since one was still in recovery mode from a fall, and the other two had appointments but wanted to get a little exercise in first. So, twelve of us hiked from the Fairhaven parking lot to the falls, somewhere around 6.5 miles in total.

Arroyo Park bridge

We traveled over the newly finished bridge, which has been out of commission for three years because of a tree that fell right in the middle of the bridge. It is totally reconstructed, and it so good to have it back once more.

Turnoff to the viewpoint

We followed the signs and were happy to be out and about on a fairly nice day in winter, with the temperature around 45°F (8°C) with no rain, but lots of puddles to navigate from earlier precipitation. 

A fair bit of rain made for a nice waterfall

It was a nice view of the falls, which lately have been sparse, but today had quite a nice display. It was time for me to take out Olga from my backpack, so she could take a look around.

Olga enjoying the falls

We then made a short trip up to the Hemlock trail, which we followed until we returned back to the Chuckanut trailhead and our starting point. But first, I had to see if I could get all the Trailblazers on the new bridge.

The bridge and the Happy Wanderers

It wasn't quite the picture I'd envisioned, but it was good enough to show you our spanking new bridge and the group having fun today. It was a really good day, and our hike leader, Barb, hit another home run by taking us on a wonderful hike. The weather was perfect and the company was sublime. I am very happy to have found this group.

:-)

10 comments:

  1. I admire your hikes with the Seniors. Thanks for sharing your photos. It has been a good year following Djan-ity! John

    ReplyDelete
  2. That bridge looks fantastic! I'm sure Olga appreciated the view, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was surprised when the sky cleared this morning and we had a beautiful day. And you had another beautiful hike.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks lovely and I am sure that Olga appreciated her outing too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great thing to do on Boxing day. I always did something on boxing day like ski or skate but I've been fairly inactive lately/ Today I walked about 3 Km.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish me had something like this here, I would love being in a group like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A good post-Christmas thing to do. Glad you enjoyed the outing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. DJan, love these pics! I had to save every one of them ( hope that's OK?) I think Chuckanut is my favorite place that you hike. And I like Olga too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an awesome day you had! I've read that Boxing Day was intended as a day to make donations, but is now more like a Black Friday sort of thing?

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.