Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Chanterelle trail 2024

A small part of the Happy Wanderers today

Another year has begun, with the Senior Trailblazers Happy Wanderers group having had 22 people show up this morning for a five-mile walk up the Chanterelle trail together. We were actually pretty strung out, which is needed for such a large group. But we did it and were back at the Senior Center before noon!

We were lucky once again with the weather; although it was dry and cloudy when we started out, by the time we began our descent back the way we had come, sprinkles dotted the trail and bounced off our heads. Nothing that experienced Trailblazers would even call rain, just some light sprinkles.

Lake Whatcom from the viewpoint

I have taken this same picture countless times, but I'm pretty sure that this is the first one with the Happy Wanderers. It was a frequent destination for Mel and me, and the other Trailblazer groups come to this spot but continue on for another two-and-a-half miles, making the entire outing ten miles rather than five. We climbed 1,000 feet up and down, so it's not just a simple hike. A few people were not quite ready for such a change in altitude, but they did manage to make it up eventually.

Smiles at the top

We chatted and took our time before heading back, but then we began to feel the chill and decided to warm up by hiking downhill, back to the cars. It was not long after I took this picture that I began to feel the coming rain — er, sprinkles. By the time we piled into our cars and started back, it might have qualified to be referred to as rain. Nobody minded, since we were ensconced in our warm, dry vehicles.

It was definitely a wonderful way to begin another year of forest bathing, being outdoors in the elements, feeling the invigorating fresh air, listening to the birds and smelling the odor of freshly cut pine on the side of the trail now and then. Now that I am home, with lunch under my belt, I am aware that another day of exercise and community has lifted my spirits. Life is good!

:-)

13 comments:

  1. Good that the rain held off, so happy you had a great hike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful accomplishment made more enjoyable with friends. I love the idea of forest bathing. There are no forests close by us. I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really enjoying these hikes and photos. I know you don’t usually take questions here, but maybe one of these days you can tell us about this: In the first image, I’m looking at folks using those walking sticks. Do those folks consider the sticks ESSENTIAL … perhaps to keep from falling … OR, are they using them as an assist just to help moving along and perhaps providing a measure of safety. It sounds like you had a good hike today. Thanks for sharing the story and the photos and thanks for your kind comment on my blog today re the Chief’s Invitation. John

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of your people look to be dressed very warmly. Nothing like starting the new year off with a good hike.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those smiles. Thank you for my vicarious forest bath.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That' s a large group. Happy new year, DJan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Forest bathing is so good for the spirit. It sounds like another great day, Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you found this group! You all lucked out with the weather once again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great place to enjoy the new year. Truly a group of kindred spirits. Thanks for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Exercise and community". Sounds great. I'm getting my exercise taking down Christmas. Just the Santas to do now, and then a through housecleaning. It should all be done by Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have a cloudy, gray day with some rain. Reading your post made me shiver. I prefer to stay indoors on rainy days.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice hiking tour... thank you very much for taking us with you.
    Yes. Life is good.
    Many greetings to you and a happy 2024 to you and yours.
    Viola

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.