Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Finally above freezing, and now...

Whatcom Falls

Today an amazing number of Senior Trailblazers went for a walk in the park. Whatcom Falls Park and Bloedel Donovan Park, to be exact. We started from Civic Center, where twenty of us gathered, led by Barb. Way too many, but what are you gonna do? We all wanted to enjoy the last day of our cold snap. Right now (afternoon), we are above freezing for the first time in several days. And what is coming next, you ask? It looks like the dry and cold days are behind us, with the possibility of several inches of snow and some icy conditions instead. Sigh. I actually enjoyed having no snow but really cold temperatures. The footing was great, with little possibility of slipping and falling. That is about to change. 

It is winter, after all, but we are used to more moderate temperatures around here, with a little rain, even mixed with some slush, but what is forecast is a different animal altogether. I might not be getting behind the wheel of my car for a few days, and instead will walk to the bus as usual, hoping not to need my Microspikes to stay vertical. It's not the snow I mind, but the ice. And I need to remember that I am old and fragile, not likely to bounce back if I fall. So I will do what I can not to fall. That said, I don't want to stay indoors with possible adventures ahead.

Once we all gathered at our starting point, someone couldn't get their car door to lock, so we waited while her possessions were transferred to another car. By the time we started, I was freezing, cold hands, cold feet, and wishing I had worn more warm clothes. But then we began walking, and part of our trek took us up a steady incline, which I welcomed because it helped me get warm. After a couple miles, I was toasty warm and happy to be out. (Next time, I won't forget that extra layer.)

The stairs

We took a different way back after a quick lunch at Bloedel Donovan Park, and we took these 105 stairs down to Woburn Street, crossed and then were back on a trail. Sometimes it feels nice to be taken care of, and Don walked behind me as I navigated the stairs, unless I might feel the need for assistance. Without that railing, I would have needed his strong arm to hold onto. But it was just fine, and we were close to the trail that would take us back to the Civic Center where we started.

We ended up going just under seven miles, with a fair bit of elevation gain and loss, but everyone was very happy to have been able to be out and about on a winter's day. I don't know if we will be hiking at all on Thursday, with the weather forecast making it look like maybe the best thing to do will be to stay home and watch the show from inside. We'll see. Today, however, was great!

:-)

13 comments:

  1. Hi DJan,

    It sounds like you and the Senior Trailblazers had a wonderful and eventful day out, despite the chilly weather and the challenges it presented. Your adventurous spirit shines through in your willingness to brave the cold and navigate icy conditions, all while enjoying the beauty of Whatcom Falls Park and Bloedel Donovan Park. It's impressive how you managed a seven-mile hike with significant elevation changes, especially considering the cold snap and the impending snowy and icy weather.

    Your experience highlights the importance of being prepared for changing weather conditions, especially in winter. It's a good reminder for all of us to dress in layers and be ready for temperature shifts during outdoor activities. The way you described the support and camaraderie among the group, like Don assisting you on the stairs, really adds to the sense of community and mutual care within your group.

    It's also great to hear how you're planning ahead and taking precautions for the coming days with more challenging weather. Your decision to prioritize safety, especially considering the risk of ice, is wise. It’s important to acknowledge our physical limitations as we age, but it’s equally inspiring to see how you don't let it dampen your adventurous spirit.

    Your experience serves as a wonderful example of how staying active and connected with others can enrich our lives, regardless of age or weather challenges. Whether you decide to go hiking on Thursday or enjoy the snow show from indoors, it's clear that you have a positive and adaptable approach to life's adventures. Keep embracing each day with this enthusiastic spirit!

    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seven miles is a good distance on a so so day. 20 turning out for hike has to be good for something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Falls are flowing nicely! Nice hike! I am with you, I hate the ice:(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seven miles?? Well DJan, I'm glad you were back out there and wow those stairs were impressive--daunting, but impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Colour me impressed. I suspect I would have had to put both feet on every single step of those stairs. Which would have felt like seven miles on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! DJan, I don't have trouble with my knees but those stairs did look steep...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Going down those 105 steps would have killed my knees. How do you do it? You're amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We just got back from a walk on the boardwalk which we traversed immediately after the de-icer went by. A bit too early but we managed a shorter walk anyway. We aren’t warming up any time soon. Enjoy the change in weather there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Going down that staircase would be easier then trying to climb up them!
    Marcia in CO

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, it is the ice that is as treacherous as the below zero temps. Glad you guys got in a hike before the weather gets even worse for hiking--or even walking anywhere at all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brrrr! I think you could travel anywhere and survive adverse weather conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's been -10 or lower here all week. Not good wheelchair weather!

    ReplyDelete
  13. 105 stair treads? Yikes! That is really spooky in winter. I'm so glad you were able to have this happy day with friends. I know how important it is.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.