Thursday, January 18, 2024

Thursday adventure

From my front porch

No hike today, in fact many places of business are just simply closed because of the amazing snowfall we received yesterday, Wednesday. It did finally stop, but by then the buses were no longer running and people were asked to stay home. Today, Thursday, we are busy digging out from about 6, 8 or more inches of snow, more for the date than we have ever received here. You can tell with a quick glance at the cars, which are buried in what looks close to a foot of snow. 

I did get out yesterday and took the (still functioning) bus to the coffee shop, where I managed to have a great cup of coffee and treat before deciding that the snow was not going to stop anytime soon, so I'd probably just head home. I'm glad I did, because by noon the buses were no longer running, and I don't know how I would have gotten home otherwise. The website for the WTA (Whatcom Transportation Authority) said they would find a way to get anybody back home who traveled to their destination by bus. I didn't know any of this until I got up this morning, wondering if I could make it to town or not, and learned that the buses were all running on schedule, although using chains. That meant I wasn't sure when the bus would actually get there. However, I took my chances and headed out in the dark, using the (mostly) deserted street instead of the sidewalks, where snowplows had made them impassable. It was pretty easy going, especially compared to yesterday when I had to struggle through deep virgin snow.

Today, before I caught the bus home, I made my way to the co-op for a couple of things I forgot yesterday. When I got there at 8:45am, the doors were closed. They had sent everybody home at 5:00pm yesterday and the sign said they would reopen at 9:00am. I chatted with other people who waited along with me for the doors to open. Once they did and I got my items, I walked back to the bus station and caught my usual bus back home. The Senior Center was closed yesterday and again today. Many shops were also not open, I noticed.

Photo by Cindy Plaster

I find it interesting how all snow pictures look like B&W, since there is nothing really that changes color when all that you can see is the snow and where it piles up. This picture is, I believe, the bridge over Whatcom Falls where I was on Tuesday. I found this lovely shot on the Seeing Bellingham website on Facebook.

I will probably be using Microspikes on my walk to the bus tomorrow, since all this snow will begin to melt once the rain starts and we get above freezing. Right now in the early afternoon we are at 32°F and the temperature will fall, but rain is on the way. It will take a lot of it to make all this snow melt, so tomorrow will probably be very slippery. I'll be prepared. Although I didn't get much of a walk today, what I did get meant I used a lot of energy struggling through the snow. Feeling pretty accomplished as I sit here writing this post.

:-)

14 comments:

  1. Minus 10 or 12 here, and 10" on the level, pretty routine winter weather here. But three snow days for the schools this week because of the winds and blowing snow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is icy here after snow, then rain followed by freezing temperatures. Be careful out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the snow pics from Bellingham. Irene doesn't share much with us. With all of her mountaineering gear, she should be prepared for Bellingham weather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm counting on you to use good sense about being out in this treacherous weather. Don't jeopardize your safety or count on others to do the right thing. We need you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. we are usually not prepared for this much snow. The best idea is to stay home and away from men and machinery trying to clear snow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Be very, very careful dear friend. Those conditions look and sound treacherous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so fearless. I would just stay home and read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It takes a lot to keep you at home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! That's a lot of snow. You are brave to go out in it at all. Please be careful... falls can be devastating.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you are such a trooper to go out and enjoy the weather even though it is so severe and long lasting. When will your winter end?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would be too afraid of falling to be out on a lot of those hikes you do, let alone trips to the coffee shop--LOL! You are in much better shape than I am. But--be careful out there when you do venture out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It’s about 92 miles from Seattle to Bellingham. I can’t believe the difference in the weather this past week. We had zero snow accumulation although it did get very cold for a couple of days. Take care and stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm really glad you're staying safe and have the appropriate footwear. It's so very easy to take a fall when it gets icy. I have taken some falls and glad I had a thick, long down coat that protected me. Better footwear for me would have been nice.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.