Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Trappist beer

I love a good beer

Well, what do you know about beer? I know very little, actually, except for what I enjoy after a satisfying hike or a nice repast at the end of the day. I also like red wine, but there's something special about a good dark beer that just cannot be beat. When I was in Germany years ago, I was introduced to a wonderful Trappist beer, dark and heavy, nothing like I had experienced in drinking American beer.

I also learned that German beer is changed dramatically by the laws and regulations that allow beverages to be imported. All I can say is, don't bother to look for a good dark German beer here.  However, these days there are many delightful beers to be enjoyed if you live in the Pacific Northwest, where all kinds of dark beers are brewed. But there's nothing is quite like a Trappist beer. There is an amazing history to these monastic beers that you can read all about on that link.

Tonight, I am sitting here in the evening hours while I drink a good winter ale from a local brewery, and it did bring back memories of those days in Germany when I learned a great deal about beer. Today I am drinking this ale because of a massive change in our environment, which started when I woke up this morning to a home without electricity. You don't know how much you need it until it's just not there. Dark, wind blowing a gale outside, and no internet, no coffee, no nothing!

I got myself out of bed and went to the car to drive somewhere that would be able to bring me some caffeine. By the time I go to the first intersection, I saw lights galore, so I went off to the coffee shop. We ended up being four or more hours without power, but I was able to communicate with my guy through text messages until I learned it was time to come back home. Our hike for the day was canceled, and I didn't get in a walk, but otherwise it's been an okay day.

Tomorrow I will take the bus to the coffee shop and will maybe go to the Senior Center. Our terrible weather is predicted to start tomorrow night, while much of the country is already in the midst of severe winter weather. Anyway, that was my day and now I'm thinking it's time to chill even more and then  hit the sack.

:-)

12 comments:

  1. Cheers! Glad you have power again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like some beers too, especially wheat beers that are not very hoppy, and bark beers.
    It doesn't sound like we will get much snow here in south Seattle, but we could be surprised. I hope not because I have an appointment early Friday morning down in the valley. Hills are not my friend in snow. Tom would have to drive me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stay safe during your storm . Power outages really upset our routines. Our high on Sat is to be Minus 31C.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DJan, you certainly keep things interesting during an outage! Interesting read about the beer, boy is that dark--be careful out there tomorrow, it's been nothing but icy rain & snow here in Pittsburgh for 4 days now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad it was only four hours! With the ice storms here we have been lucky to have kept power. I hope it doesn't get too bad your way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our whole town was out for 4 days in 2022, and coffee was a major problem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried dark Guinness beer at Kennedy's pub in Dublin, Ireland for the first time this past spring. I'm not a beer drinker, but you know... it was good. Now you got me curious about Trappist beer. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad that you have power back. I am not a beer fan - but have never tried German beer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't like alcohol and beer even less. But, David loves beer and would drink it if I let him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not a beer drinker either, DJan... but have to admit that I do like Guinness. I've never heard of Trappist, but if given the chance, might try it. As for the weather, good luck. We're expecting things to get bad by Monday here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 4 hours without power - glad you had a nice way to pass the time! Beer doesn't like me - I can't drink at all. But it sure looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hate power cuts but fortunately they are quite rare where I am. Not sure I would have made the effort to get out of bed.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.