Tuesday, January 23, 2024

First hike after the snow

Ina and Barb on the trail

It was pretty neat to see how much the snow has receded from our hiking areas, partly because of the warm rain, and partly because it's been almost a week since it fell. It was mostly clear, but there were icy patches, so we Senior Trailblazers kept our eyes open and used our trekking poles to help keep us upright. But after I had gone five days with no exercise at all, I was happy that we went five miles from Marine Park through the 100 Acre Woods and the Interurban trail. It was a round trip amount, and there were 14 of us altogether to start. We didn't know what we would encounter, but, other than some wet patches and the intermittent ice, the footing was great!

Heron nests in the trees

We passed by the Post Point Heron Rookery, a place where Great Blue Herons come to raise their young during the spring. You can learn more about the city's attempts at protecting them here. From that link:
The herons typically occupy the site annually between February and August. They utilize a variety of habitats in and around the colony for nesting, roosting, loafing, foraging and staging. 
Back at Marine Park

It's hard to believe that less than a week ago, we were caught in the huge snowstorm, but the weather cooperated to help us get back to our normal environment. All that snowmelt should make for plenty of wildflowers to sprout a few months from now. Of course, we have two more months of winter to get through before that happens, and who knows what that will bring? Hopefully, we will emerge with plenty of moisture for growing flowers and veggies once the sunshine returns. In any event, so far we have been quite fortunate, especially when I look at what is happening in the rest of the country.

And I am quite happy to have gotten my exercise routine back on track! Hope you are having a good week and that you will enjoy a a bit of exercise yourself. 

:-)

11 comments:

  1. I am sure you are very, very happy to get your exercise routine back on track. Were you going through withdrawal?

    ReplyDelete
  2. DJan, even on a dreary weather day like this one, your photos are a joy to look at. I'm glad you were able to get back out there. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must feel great to hit the trails again with friends in reasonable weather!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still lots of snow here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the warmest day we've had in a couple of weeks or more. 30 degrees! Tomorrow we are supposed to get above freezing. Not much snow here, though. Glad you got out and about. We miss our routines. You're is very different from mine, though--lol! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks pretty wet on the trail. However, good hikers know how to handle the mud. Watch out and go around the ice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are lucky to live in a such a verdant area. Can't wait to see those wildflowers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did take my new trekking poles for a 1 mile walk in the neighborhood Tuesday. It was hard, but since I seem to be on my own now, I persist.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You put me to shame. We have perfect walking weather almost every day but I don't go walking. However, I do the 5 Tibetan exercises that I learned from you every morning. (Mahalo!) They give me strength.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is always good to get back out there after the bad weather. Sounds a very enjoyable walk once again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the best thing of all besides the exercise is spending time with all your wonderful friends.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.