Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Coming to terms with injury

Blanket of snow on the hedge
I walked out of my apartment this morning with a new blanket of snow over everything, as you can see here, right at sunrise. Although my hip has gotten a little bit better every day, it's still not completely healed. I spent Sunday doing very little and thought maybe it would be well by now, but it's not. Yesterday when I walked to the bus, I contemplated whether it might be my new shoes that caused this hip pain, so today I wore another pair. Nope. That's not it.
Dark sky with snowy tree
I walked carefully today, since it was slippery in places and managed to make the .7-mile trip to the bus stop without falling. School was canceled again today, which was probably a good idea for the kids, but now all that snow has been plopping on the ground, falling from the trees and buildings, although it's still not above freezing outside, and it's noon. They made the right call.

I am reluctantly coming to the conclusion that a hike on Thursday is probably not the right decision. Tomorrow I get a massage and hopefully the therapist will be able to help me, at least a little. I am very impatient but I also realize that if I'm not careful, I'll be laid up even longer.
:-(

18 comments:

  1. Oh dearheart. I am so sorry to hear that you are carrying an injury.
    Hugs and cyber healing to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how I hate injuries! I hope your hip heals quickly and that you are back on the trails where you belong :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your pain dear lady...
    I'd give it some time and try and not push yourself.
    Sending healing wishes your way, and hope your massage helps :)
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Feel better soon, Jan. This too shall pass.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've been through a couple of thee injuries before and I think you learned that patience is a big part of the healing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry DJan. I know how much those hikes mean to you, but it is better to miss one or two and heal up than to make it worse and miss many more. I hope the massage helps and you heal quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Active people do NOT like to be laid up with pain that impedes our going about our agendas. Be kind to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You'll conquer this just as you conquer everything else! You're a Sadge. That's what you folks do best.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't discount the shoes too quickly. I once had awful hip pain from shoes that were too wide for me--I have a skinny foot. Proper shoe width along with some inserts and I was right as rain quickly. Hope yours is a simple fix also.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry you're not getting any better. Being injured is the pits! Take care and hope you heal up quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope the hip heals quickly, DJan. These things seem to happen to us as we age. Don't know what causes them... and sometimes we don't know if rest or stretching is better? But as they say, this too will pass. Sending healing hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a difficult transition when you body starts to take over your life. Can be in little ways or big ones but it seems to be inevitable if we are lucky to live so long. Some are barely effected and some deeply. Never know exactly when, either. But you have been fairly unaffected thus far--even with some injuries. So I would imagine that if you are careful and cautious your life changes will continue to be gradual and not abrupt. That is what I sincerely hope for you with all my heart--that you will continue to be as active as you love to be for many years to come. Bravo on listening to your body. You need to be a team. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thinking about you today! Hope you are felling a bit better!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I see you got some spam...sneaky buggers anyway.
    perhaps a level hike of a shorter variety would be a good thing instead of your regular hike...I know you will miss it. I know you like routine and are impatient when you cannot do what you want to!! Listen to your body!...take a cane on your hike just in case:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Take care of yourself and ... that massage sounds like just the right medicine! Love the photo "Dark sky with snowy tree."

    ReplyDelete
  16. that walk looks amazing!!

    http://lucyandtherunaways.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm glad you didn't go on the hike. You have to give yourself time to heal.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.