Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Enough snow already

Our museum looking rather snowy (taken by Brittany Wagoner)
I woke today to another morning with freezing temperatures and a cold north wind. Yesterday the snow and cold caused the Whatcom school district to cancel all classes, and today the university is open, but all the other schools are still closed. Friday I drove to my yoga class and couldn't make it up some of the hills because of inches of snow,  causing even the slightest hill to become treacherous. And here it is Tuesday, and only today have I seen the sun come out. Unusual weather for us.

By Thursday, my hiking day, we are supposed to be back to rain, lots and lots of it, and temperatures more than twenty degrees warmer than today. Here in the Pacific Northwest, we do get snow and cold sometimes, but this is enough already. In the recent past, we barely got a hard freeze during the winter months, much less days of snowfall. And it's only February. At least we are past Groundhog Day, February 2, when we pass the halfway point to spring and there is actually more light than dark. We are gaining more than three minutes of daylight every day now, in the Northern Hemisphere at least. (I sometimes forget that some of my blogging friends are experiencing the opposite.)

I heard they got it even worse in Seattle, though, with up to several FEET of snow in some places. I'll bet they are happy to see the sun come out today. Hope wherever you are, you are safe and comfy. I'm sitting in my favorite chair and just finished a great lunch.
:-)

17 comments:

  1. I love weather! Wish I'd been in Seattle for this storm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photo is quite lovely. Makes me think of Russia.

    I'm done with winter. Anxiously awaiting warm, sunny days. Today is so gloomy that we have lamps on around the house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It snowed here today too! Your snow is very pretty on that old building! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is never enough snow, DJan (until May). Snowing hard right now. I'm done with exercise and sitting by the fire. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel your pain - well, not right this minute, as for some strange reason we hit a 70 degree high today! I don't mind the snow if it comes and stays for one day - two at the most, after that I'm done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a wonderful plan...sitting in your snug chair.
    Snow is pretty, but it really does disrupt people's daily lives, closing the school district Wow !
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your area is hilly so snow on slopes would be challenging. You don't have snow removal equipment or cars that are ready for snow and ice. Keep safe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our daughter got lots of snow in Abbotsford too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Freezing rain here, Jan, which causes its own problems.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We made it out of the driveway and up the hill to our appointments this afternoon. Not looking forward to all the slush laying around as the rain slowly washes it all away.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just saw Linda's snow photos. Wow! It all looks so pretty. I hope it warms up for you, DJan. I'm enjoying your new profile photo. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the snow, but on the mountains, not in town! Yep, we've had our share of the white stuff in Portland too....however, I hear the Gorge is going to get more snow and freezing rain tomorrow. The never-ending PNW winter!

    ReplyDelete
  13. 75 today in South Florida. Maybe gloating just a little!

    ReplyDelete
  14. ...and here we sit in Corpus, complaining of the inferno we're experiencing. We had 85 degrees yesterday. Fog this morning, and 70 degrees at 6 a.m.!!

    Snow's pretty. But only in photos. I wouldn't venture out in that to go to ANY class. lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like you might have to take up skiing to get in your exercise. It sure is pretty though and I am envious. It was 80 here yesterday and it has been windows open all week. I moved here to enjoy changing seasons but this year--nada. I fear summer will be brutal.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Question from So. Carolina: What is this thing called snow you speak of? Looks a little bit like sand!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's nice to have the balmy weather we have been experiencing in Hawaii. I don't like snow at all.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.