Saturday, February 4, 2017

Old-growth forests

Old growth trees
It's hard to believe that it was only Thursday when I took this picture of these magnificent old trees, since today it's overcast with freezing rain and dismally cold temperatures. Friday morning I woke to a couple of inches of snow on the ground, which turned to rain later, but the cold kept the snow from melting away. Right now it's right around freezing here in Bellingham, and it's late Saturday morning.

We ladies (some of us) met to walk together, but Cindy called it off because of ice and slippery spots, not to mention it was not exactly wonderful weather, with a steady rain and wind. So this morning only a few decided to brave it, and I was not one of them. Instead, I came home and thought about my Saturday post, finally deciding to tell you about these wonderful old trees.

Since my move to the Pacific Northwest, I've learned to identify the beautiful Old Growth trees that we have met on some of our forest walks. Those trees in the above picture were taken in the natural forest lands on Hoypus Hill. To be considered an old-growth forest, according to Wikipedia,
It has attained great age without significant disturbance and thereby exhibits unique ecological features and might be classified as a climax community. Old-growth features include diverse tree-related structures that provide diverse wildlife habitat that increases the biodiversity of the forested ecosystem. ... In British Columbia, Canada, old growth is defined as 120 to 140 years of age in the interior of the province where fire is a frequent and natural occurrence. In British Columbia’s coastal rainforests, old growth is defined as trees more than 250 years, with some trees reaching more than 1,000 years of age.
Wow! Now that's old. I've been told that some of the trees I've seen around here are well over 500 years old, considering their size, and there's one place we've visited that must have even older trees. They take my breath away, they are so majestic. My biggest problem with them is that as hard as I've tried, I cannot manage to capture their beauty with a camera.
:-)

10 comments:

  1. Your post reminds of the poem by Joyce Kilmer - Trees

    I think that I shall never see
    A poem lovely as a tree....

    Trees have always been my favorite part of nature. I absolutely love them all! You are fortunate to live and be able to hike in the Pacific Northwest. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are very old trees in California, too. Amazing, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. whenever I visit the west coast I have to visit old growth forest. There's one on V Island on the way to Tofino. I think it's called Cathedral.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I photograph big trees by having someone stand at the base of the trunk. That's the only way I know how to demonstrate the massive size, since trying to photograph the height is hard to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always been in awe of the old growth trees, here in Minnesota we call it Virgin Growth...Itasca State Park has some:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a tree hugger for sure. The height of these old trees makes it had to photograph them. Love your photo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How stunning it must be to be in their majestic presence. I can only imagine how beautiful an experience it would be. The secrets they hold! Lovely pic despite what you feel falls short from reality. It's still my next best thing to being there and I thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now you make me want to sit among some old trees and listen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you did a bang up job with that photo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous! I love standing under magnificent trees like that and shooting straight up into them towards the sky. A++

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.