Saturday, May 8, 2010

Up in the air

Today Smart Guy and I went south to Snohomish to make a few skydives with our friends. Because of my last post which relegates my entire life to "blog fodder," I took my camera aboard the plane to show you what my day was like. I snapped this picture just as we took off in the Cessna Caravan from Harvey Field, showing the green, the blue sky, and the clouds in the distance. the door is on the left, plexiglass with bars, which opens from the bottom and rolls upward.

We were on our way up to altitude, 13,500 feet, to spend a minute or so playing around in freefall, and then opening our parachutes and flying them to the ground. Then we packed up and did it again, and yet once more before the day was over. I snapped this picture of the other passengers, the two girls making their first skydives as tandem passengers with their instructors, a new pilot on the left, and Dave, the pilot who is in teaching mode right now (in the right-hand seat). He also agreed to take a few pictures for me, too.
There's the two pilots in front, the two tandem passengers with their instructors, and a couple of other jumpers (the bald guy and the bearded one) who would follow our four-way out the door. After I took these pictures, I handed my camera up to Dave so he could take some pictures of Puget Sound from altitude. I didn't want the distraction of the camera as I got ready to make my jump.
He snapped this enchanting picture of Christine on the left, my butt in the middle, and Linny on the right. Of course, I didn't know he took this picture, but it was just too good to leave out. That is Smart Guy's black-capped head with what looks like a hand growing out of it. The door is still down but we are close to getting ready to exit the plane. (Click any picture to enlarge.)
Dave took this picture of Puget Sound after we exited, showing our beautiful Paradise that we get to play around in. What did we do in the air? Well, as I've explained before, we make pretty patterns in the sky. Long ago, when we first met, Smart Guy drew these pictures for me, showing some of the fun things we could do in the air. I was enchanted with them, as I hope you will be, too.
We made stars (the upper left drawing), donuts (the upper right), we flew around the planet for a whole minute before it was time to separate and pull out our parachutes. It was just a lovely, blue sky, beautiful day that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside now, as I sit here writing my post to share with my wonderful friends in the blogosphere. I couldn't have asked for a better day. I hope yours was just as nourishing to your soul as this was for me.
:-)

18 comments:

  1. Buddy: But, your butt makes beautious blog fodder! (OK! So I get carried away with the B's....) What a good way to spend a day! Up in a gorgeous sky, flying? Had it been warm enough, we too would have been flying! (On our Byke though!) Glad you had a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also had a wonderful day but nothing like as exciting as yours. Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My but was busy in other ways. The pain meds caused constipation, so I had to take a laxative. Not nearly as much fun as your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos....everyone looks so happy and excited. I am glad YOU enjoy jumping out of a plane to play around as your body rushes down to solid ground. lol Gad, I get nervous on a ladder. The photos are wonderful, though, and I agree that the 3rd photo is just too good not to include. Glad you explained the black helmet because for a moment I thought an alien was on board with a strange head.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a busy day too with some fun in the sun at the Sounders match in Qwest Field with over 36,000 other folks, most of whom were getting sunburned. That's exciting enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you and Smart Guy have something so important to each of you to share together.
    Thanks for the photos of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! It looks so fun. The world looks so very different from up in the air, doesn't it? I like the diagram Smart Guy drew. I can't imagine what it must be like to fly through the air and make beautiful shapes! I'm so glad ya'll had a gorgeous day and fun friends to spend it with:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You really make me want to try sky diving more and more each time you post! My sisters both did a tandem jump when they were in New Zealand... I'm tempted but can't afford it.

    And that's a lovely playground you guys get to play in!

    My Saturday was calm (and my Sunday is even calmer at the moment)... sleeping in, working around the house, lunch with the parents and then off to a movie with my Dad (a regular weekend tradition, we almost always go either Fri-Sat-Sun right after lunch at siesta time to avoid the masses). The weather here has been freaky so planning anything is difficult, and I'm still a bit nervous with my foot for outdoorsy stuff. I'm waiting for my diving buddies to tell me the water has passed the magic 20ÂșC mark at which point I can go play in the Med! My rehab Dr told me Friday no scuba yet... ankle not ready. Damn!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi DJan..what a beautiful view..and what a wonderful day you had! Smart Guy is a pretty good artist! I know that Mother's Day must be difficult for you..hopefully the good memories of your sons will make you smile today..Happy Mother's Day my friend:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You skydive? That is so impressive. When I was in high school & college, I wanted to do that so much. I was sure I would love it. Now, not so sure. Plus, w/ two artificial hips, even if I were not fearful (which I am) I don't think the doc would recommend. How did you get into this? So cool.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post is absolutely amazing. Hiking in rugged back country,...I have read about but sky diving....!!! What a beautiful and exhilerating day you had.

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW. I am totally impressed. Good for you! Last year, when our daughter took her second dive on her birthday, I told her we would all go with her on her 21st. Gulp. It's getting close.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Totally awesome! You are one amazing person. Glad you had a wonderful day. xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are too amazing!! And what pretty patterns you make! I love Smart Guy's drawing! You two are a wonderful pair! You are truly an adventurous soul...And I admire you immensely! Loved the photos...you brought big smiles to me today! Love, Janine XO

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing your amazing day, DJan! I can see why you love it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. DJan, thanks for taking our pics. I was one of the girls taking our first jump! That was amazing!!! It as a blast...who knows maybe someday, I'll be able to freefall on my own, just like you.

    Marissa

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are just too much! I have the feeling I have when I'm flying around on Tango is close to what you experience while sky diving. Being able to live our passions is a wonderful thing...isn't it? I just love your posts...they make me come alive!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great photos of the process...it made my stomach lurch though...I am afraid of heights..
    I am okay in a closed plane, but that open photo?
    YIKES!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.