Thursday, May 13, 2010

Baker River

Today, seventeen Senior Trailblazers met at the Senior Center to coordinate our carpool to the Baker River area. It's a long drive, over 70 miles, and the day dawned clear and cool as we piled into four cars. I couldn't resist showing you this picture of seven of us at our lunch spot along the Baker River. You can see that even when we stopped for lunch, we didn't need to pile on the clothes because it was warm and sunny! (You can click any picture to enlarge.)
When we finally arrived at the trailhead, hauled out our gear and trekking poles (someone called them our "canes"), we started hiking on this enchanted trail, filled with lush greenery, some early flowers, and lots of shade and sun. The air temperature was just about perfect. We started hiking to Hidden Creek but had to turn around when we got there, since the bridge was out. We hiked back down to Baker River to have lunch. We had some wonderful views of Mt. Baker, Mt. Shuksan, and a new (to me) peak called Haggen Peak:
As we looked up at the view, the gentle breeze kept us from overheating, although it was the first hike in a long time where we welcomed the breeze and shade, since it was in danger of being HOT! In mid-May, I was amazed, but apparently these valleys often get quite warm. You wouldn't know it from all that snow, but we never saw any snow at our elevation and very little mud. We saw lots of streams emptying into the beautiful emerald-hued Baker River.
The green color of the water is apparently from glacier melt. The water was so inviting. The sound of fast-flowing water and the amazing diversity of huge old-growth trees, sun-dappled trails, and the laughter of my friends was enough to make me stop, smile, and take this picture.
We were gathering back together to make sure nobody got left behind or got too far ahead. In this picture, there is nobody who is not an actual bonafide Senior Citizen, and they were all just as happy as I was to be there, in the beautiful wilderness with each other, getting fit and having fun. This is not to say that we were not feeling our age, commiserating about sore knees or our latest efforts to keep ourselves healthy. It truly does help to have like-minded friends who are going through the same trials and tribulations as I am.
There were places on the trail filled with moss-covered trees and new spring leaves, making the most beautiful patterns in the sunshine. This picture caught my eye, and it almost conveys the beauty we spent the day enjoying. Almost, but not quite.
:-)

18 comments:

  1. Thanks for another lovely hike. It's so beautiful in this part of the country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can easily imagine how beautiful your wilderness hike was DJan, you captured it well with your photos!
    ♥...Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like the photos...loved the color of the melted glacier water. And the one taken on the trail gave me the sense that I was hiking right behind you! Thanks for another amazing journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have amazing friends and they have amazing YOU! You know how much I love your treks. Bo and I walked today and it was the first time in a long time. My health has not permitted it (LONG and BORING story) and it felt SO GOOD to move again - to be able to. AHHHH. No bike riding yet but I'm looking into a very different seat. I.SO.LOVE.MY.BIKE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that's a hiking day I would have liked to have been a part of - big old trees, fresh spring green, rushing water and snow capped peaks, all in the sunshine. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enchanting trails intrigued me...sounds like fairies are everywhere to guide your group. The water photo looks very inviting I agree with you and if only I were there...I would be excited to take off my shoes and wade in the water!

    AL

    ReplyDelete
  7. This trailblazer group sounds perfect to enjoy the scenery and to share stories. I am really enjoying following your adventures. The river with the clear, snow run-off from the mountains,...exhilerating!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! You're right, the water is inviting. I'd love to slide in. Of course, I'm sure it's icy. It does look like a wonderful day. I'm happy ya'll had such a warm and sunny hike!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I admire your stamina! That hike would have been too strenuous for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so beautiful. Especiallly liked the green water and the moss. I always feel like such a slug after reading about your hiking and the exercise and work out you're getting. I really need to get moving a little more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow,that last photo was spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Somehow the older I get the more the cold bothers me. 29 degrees in May is a bit much don't you think. Those hikers are not wearing turtlenecks and sweaters... If I could only get back in shape enough to be oblivious to the cold again. Can't wait to get to the woods now thanks to your pics though. Soon as its over 50 everyday....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful photos DJan, it looks like your weather yesterday was as as gorgeous and warm as ours. The photo of the tree branches covered with moss is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These photos are simply stunning, DJ. And so lovely that you had such sunny and warm weather for your hike this week...especially after the recent rainy and muddy one. I love your last photo especially! So gorgeous. You are an amazing photographer. Love, Janine XO

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another lovely trip you showed us. I particularly liked the last picture of the hanging moss. This is so beautiful. Did you see any faeries?
    Blessings, Star

    ReplyDelete
  16. That moss covered tree is outstanding – good shot.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.