Thursday, May 20, 2010

Blanchard Mountain

Yesterday a very vigorous storm moved through the Pacific Northwest, bringing rain, high winds, and basically some pretty nasty weather. I woke several times last night to howling winds and figured that at least I'd have a few good friends to share my misery while on our hike up Blanchard Mountain today. However, by the time I arrived at the Senior Center, we had a good turnout: all the regulars showed up. Plus the second, less dedicated hiking group canceled their scheduled hike, so we picked up a few strangers who joined us today, making a total of nineteen Seniors.

And the weather cooperated! Although it was cold, overcast and sometimes windy, we were prepared for much worse. The trail was a little muddy but nothing like we've had in the past. Peggy and I took credit for the rain staying away, since we both had put on our rain pants before starting the hike. We hiked four miles up about 1,800 feet of elevation to the North Summit lookout, where we were treated to an actual view.
This picture looks across the bay at the town of Anacortes, south of Bellingham and the starting place for some of our other hikes. You can see that the clouds were threatening, but we didn't have any rain all day. Looking a little bit to the north, I used my telephoto lens to get a picture of this boat.
I had to lighten the picture a fair amount to make the boat more prominent, so this is not the true color, it looked much more like the previous picture before I doctored it up. Since it was still early when we reached the summit, not even 11:00 am, we decided to hike back down to Lily Lake to have lunch. Once we got there, it was interesting to see that some beavers had been very busy yesterday. We saw no beaver lodge or beavers at work while we were there, but we could tell they will be back to finish what they started. (You can click any picture to enlarge.)
And last of all, we sat on the bridge eating lunch while overlooking Lily Lake, and the sun came out for a few minutes, just in time for me to get this picture showing the lily pads, some pink unknown flowers, and the sparkling water of Lily Lake.
Just after I snapped this picture, the sun was again obscured by clouds. As we hiked back down to the cars, a few sprinkles threatened rain, but not enough for anyone to stop to put on any rain gear. In the car on the way back to the Senior Center, however, we had a deluge. That is what we thought we were facing today, but we went anyway and it turned out to be a very lovely day, as you can see. I got home early, which is why this post is already up! I hope you had a great Thursday in your part of the world, too.
:-)

16 comments:

  1. Just think, you would never see this if you stayed at home like a proper senior? I'm in awe of your hiking! If I get a new hip someday, I could hike again too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hike is absolutely breathtaking. What a view at the summit! Sometimes an overcast day is the best. I can recall a hike on Vancouver Island with a light rain. Under the canopy of virgin growth trees the feeling was very special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Thursday was not as outdoorsy as your day! It was raining all day here. I had plenty to do inside today and I even made a beef stew that turned out great and there is more than enough packed in the freezer for another time. It seems like you and your group were hiking just ahead of the rain today. Glad your hike was so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The view was certainly worth the threat of rain. I once was caught in a downpour while hiking in the woods and blogged about it. Loved all your photos DJan. I now understand the statement...busy as a beaver.
    ♥...Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can certainly understand your enthusiasm for hiking after seeing these breathtakingly beautiful vistas.
    The beavers can work their way through trees in no time, as your photos show, and yes I'm sure they'll be back to finish the tree off.
    What a gorgeous lake, and love it's name Lily Lake, so enchanting !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice! What do you generally pack for lunch? Sandwiches and diet coke?

    ReplyDelete
  7. We put on our layers of old gardening clothes and braved the elements too. It was cold, but between light showers, when the sun was out, I was shedding some of these layers. We got a lot done.
    Glad you had another wonderful hike.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jan, You are inspiring! 1800 plus feet ascent - no problem... I saw your post re the flat tire - dear Jan, you have nothing to worry about for sure! You go out and do it - that's what counts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent view of the bay, the hike would have been worth it for that alone. That is most definitely an industrious beaver and I'm certain he will return to finish. Lily Lake looks like a very beautiful place to spend a little time.

    I thought about you and your group this afternoon. I was mowing the lawn as the clouds got darker and darker. The mower and I took shelter under the patio roof just seconds before the hail storm hit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are all these hiking places new to you?

    I hope those beavers know what they're doing. To me it looks like the tree will smash them when it falls. What do I know, I'm not a beaver.

    ReplyDelete
  11. you are so inspiring! that bay looks just like new zealand :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sure is beautiful in your neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely pics, DJan. You do live in a beautiful place. It was a bit bumpy flying into the Pacific Northwest yesterday. Quite a few heavy downpours in Portland. Hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a beautiful place!! I love these pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous. I'm surprised you had so many people! I really love that last shot.

    It's easy to see why they say 'busy as beavers.'

    ReplyDelete
  16. wonderful photos..I love your hikes..I really liked the shot of the lake and the wildflowers:)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.