Saturday, May 1, 2010

May Day

In the tradition of hanging a homemade basket on your doorknob, knocking and then running off, I am presenting you with this May basket. I didn't know about this until I read about it on Far Side of Fifty, but I went to find (of course) the Wikipedia entry about May Day, and found this charming description:
In some parts of the United States, May Baskets are made. These baskets are small and usually filled with flowers or treats and left at someone's doorstep. The basket giver would ring the bell and run away. The person receiving the basket would try to catch the fleeing giver. If they caught the person, a kiss was to be exchanged.
This is very hard to do when your intended is in the blogosphere! That Wikipedia link (above) gives some amazing information about the date, and why it is celebrated all over the world. It's also the Gaelic celebration of Beltane, which is halfway between the winter solstice (first day of winter) and the summer solstice (first day of summer). So it's a pretty fine day, for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere, at least.

For those who might be interested in the progress of the eagles on Hornby Island in British Columbia, one little eaglet emerged out of the two eggs, and there is still hope that the second one will hatch, but it needs to happen pretty soon. I must say, that little eaglet is the cutest thing, and watching Mom or Dad Hornby feed it, so tenderly and carefully, makes me wonder anew how anyone could see this and not be filled with heartfelt admiration. Take a look at the threesome (and maybe soon to be four) here. (If you don't see the eaglet, it's under the eagle in the nest, along with the unhatched egg. Go down the page to the "Hotspots" and click on one that says the eaglet is being fed, if you want to get a quick look at her.) Happy May!
:-)

18 comments:

  1. Hugs coming your way for the May basket!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the May Day basket! I had it on my calendar to drop a basket at someone's door, but forgot to do it. Oh well, I'll put it on for next year. Hope you have a great day, and thanks so much for the link to the eagles. I didn't get a peek at the new baby, but it seems all good at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We always made paper May baskets in elementary school. Then often kids would pick flowers out of neighbors yards on the way home. Ooops.
    Happy May to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In Hawaii, we make leis - wreaths of flowers - that we adorn ourselves or statues of the Virgin Mary in church with.

    I saw an eagle but no baby eagle. Where is it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gigi, I put a sentence into the post suggesting if you don't see the eaglet (which is under Mom or Dad), take a look at the "Hotspots" down below. Some people record the exciting moments so we can look at them if we miss one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ended up watching 3 or 4 of the hotspots...the feeding and nice shot were two. Thanks DJan!
    ...Wanda♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the basket and the May Day Greeting! Wasn't that fun! I just got back from delivering my baskets! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A neat thing to do. I saw dancing around the May Pole with long ribbons and lots of songs and yelling when I went to country school. Then when I got in the Army I found that May Day was a big day for workers in the Communists States but never heard about these baskets. What a nice thing it is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's very interesting about May Day. I learned something today.

    I'm confident the eagles will get their second eaglet/pip or whatever they're called. It's been such fun watching them. Thanks for putting us onto that site.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely idea. Thank you very much. I am pleased to accept! I wish you a very happy May Day with lots of flowery kisses! x
    Blessings, Star

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for telling me about the Hot Spots. I clicked on the last one and saw the tiny eaglet being fed some fresh fish. Unbelievably tiny!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never heard of a May Day basket, but it is a cute tradition.

    I've been keeping up with the eagles since you posted the website. I've been there a couple of times today to see if the second egg shows signs of hatching. Phoenix was late one day hatching and today is the day for the second egg. Here is hoping that there are signs by tomorrow. :D

    Happy May Day to you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Knock! Knock! There! I just ran away from your door! Happy May day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just went back to the eagles' nest and watched the dad doing the feeding. Great fun. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had NEVER heard of that in my life but now I think I'll use it on a few special friends next year! THANKS for such a DARLING idea. I would love to see that on my front door and I'll receive your virtual one happily! :) Happy May Day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The May Day basket is new to me as well but it sounds like a lovely tradition. I had forgotten about the eagles but I just made a note to check on them in the morning. I would love to see the little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely May Basket, nice of you to share with all of us. I was reading about the baskets on Far Side too, she has some interesting things there. Thanks for the reminder of the eagles. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fun tradition. I'd imagine it's a pretty inventive way to get a kiss!

    Those eagles are amazing. I looked at the hotspot and saw the mother feeding it; how sweet. The baby is so darling. Thank you for the update on this. I hope the second egg will hatch.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.