Sunday, May 2, 2010

Stinging nettles

On our last Thursday's hike, I brushed the knuckles of my left hand against a plant. This was just before Marjan, who knows the plant well, warned us to be careful about brushing against this well-known plant, the stinging nettle. It looks very innocuous, but it's not. I was amazed at how quickly I knew that I had encountered this plant, because those knuckles began to itch and sting, as if bitten by a hornet.

I stopped to put on my gloves to protect myself from any further inadvertent contact with the plant and thought nothing more about it. On and off during the day I noticed some slight discomfort on my hand, but it wasn't anything much.

But that evening when I got home and showered, I noticed that the discomfort hadn't subsided in that hand, so I of course quickly got on line to find out how to treat the pain and figure out how long it would probably last. The Wikipedia link gave me this information:
The leaves and stems are very hairy with non-stinging hairs and also bear many stinging hairs (trichomes), whose tips come off when touched, transforming the hair into a needle that will inject several chemicals. ... This mixture of chemical compounds cause a sting or parasthesia,  from which the species derives its common name, as well as the colloquial names burn nettle, burn weed, burn hazel. The pain and itching from a nettle sting can last from only a few minutes to as long as a week.
Oh great! As long as a week? But the link also gave me some ideas of how to treat the pain: anti-itching medications, vinegar, and even mud. If I had only known this during the hike, I could have taken some of that copious mud and smeared it onto my hand. I also learned from a little more research that some people suggest using an effective method of adhesive tape applied directly to the affected area (which pulls out the little hairs) and then an application of hydrogen peroxide. Since the mud was readily available, however, that is what I should have used.

And then, wonder of wonders, yesterday while at the Farmers' Market, I saw several places selling stinging nettles, and I learned that it has a variety of health benefits. This website gives eight health benefits you can get from stinging nettle. (The Wikipedia link also has some of this information.) I did drink some nettle tea that one of the vendors was offering, and now I think I probably got some of the health benefits of the plant when it was applied directly to my hand. The sting wore off after a few days, but I notice a tiny bit of itching is still there if I absentmindedly scratch my knuckles.
While at the Market, I couldn't resist taking a picture of these "rooties" offered for sale. Although I didn't buy any of these, the colorful arrangement of leeks, beets, and carrots cheered me, even though the weather this weekend (and last) have kept me thinking of indoor activities, such as making curtains with my new sewing machine. I think I am finally proficient enough on it to give them a try. What could possibly go wrong?
:-)

20 comments:

  1. Go for the curtains!

    Now about those stinging nettles. I read about cooking stinging nettles, and said to myself "when hell freezes over." I don't care how healthy they are. I have a strong memory, from my childhood, of them brushing against little bare legs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure I've run into stinging nettles but really cannot remember being uncomfortable for hours. Mud sounds like a great idea in a pinch or using tape. Anyone carry a first aid kit? I'd make sure that tape and peroxide are included on the next trip.

    Also, fwiw, include a little bottle of pure essential oil of lavender and one of tea tree oil. My son ran into "something" when we stopped the car on our trip to Glacier Park. His leg started stinging like mad; I happen to have a small bottle of tea tree oil in my purse. I dabbed some on his leg and the stinging stopped. Lavender also has properties that supposedly dilutes a poison. I've used both after a meet up with a scorpion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Plants that can defend themselves... ouch! :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy, I'm with the other Linda on this one. Growing up here in the PNW we know all about stinging nettles, and avoid them. Eating them? No thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are terrible plants, Absorbine Junior is my selected remedy from anything that causes me to itch.
    Good luck with the sewing curtains thing..I am sure you can accomplish it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does not sound like much fun! I don't know that I'd want the tea! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too bad about the stings - that couldn't have been fun! I'm glad the worst is over.

    Yes, sew those curtains! Take a pic when done and post it. You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Last summer, the top of my foot came into contact with stinging nettle. The pain only lasted an hour at the most, but it was like sharp tiny needles piercing the skin over and over. Would hate to fall into it!
    ...Wanda♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing could go wrong because DJ is in charge!!! And behind the sewing machine!! I'm sure they will be WONDERFUL! So sorry to hear about the nettles...they're awful! But glad that you were able to find some effective helps! Love your new profile picture! And I LOVE the radishes and roots...what a fabulous photo...deserves to be framed...would make a lovely piece in a kitchen or dining area! Love you, Janine XO

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those root vegetables look like they pack a mighty antioxidant punch. Wonderful photo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a bummer! Too bad no one else knew at the time about the mud!
    Those rooties look amazing!!
    What color are the curtains?

    ReplyDelete
  12. This last hike sounds like it was full of unexpected surprises...sorry about the stinging. I'm going to check my herb book about the nettles for health.
    Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never come into contact with nettles, but only out of sheer luck. They always look so friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, goodness, I remember my encounter with stinging nettles. I was about ten years old, and I was wearing shorts. My legs were on fire for days. I had never felt anything like it, and I'll never forget it!

    I like your new avatar, BTW. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gosh, I am so glad you didn't sit down on it. What a prime topic for the Evening News that would make.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rooties but goodies. Except for parsnip!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We have lots of these in England and I have lots in my garden over there because butterflies like them. I am very surprised that no-one on here has mentioned the country remedy, which is to rub the affected area with a Dock leaf immediately after the stings. You can look up Dock leaf on the Net and see what it looks like. I'm sure you must have these in America? When I was a Girl Guide, many years ago, this is one of the first things we learned about self preservation. Do try it and see.
    Sorry you are suffering.
    Blessings, Star

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have brushed up against a stinging nettle myself, and it's not much fun! I hope by now you're back to normal. So, it really helps prevent hair loss? If that were really true, don't you think that men everywhere would be lining up for a bit of the plant? Hmmm...it's an interesting thought.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I came in contact with some stinging nettles yesterday and had an immediate burning sensation (and itch) that lasted most of yesterday. Today the rash and itch continue. I hope I will not be one of the unlucky ones who has to endure for a week. Any idea if sunbock on it is ok since I will be in the sun?

    ReplyDelete
  20. We have lots of them here in England. I'm sitting here right now with a longer lasting than normal stinging and numbness after a brush with some this morning. Ive never had it this bad before, I wonder if winter nettles are worse than summer ones :-( I hope it's better when I awake tomorrow. Nettle soup is lovely by the way and nettle beer is great too. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.