Saturday, May 15, 2010

There be dragons

While walking around the Farmers' Market in the sunshine this morning, I spied this dragon lurking about. The title of this post is a takeoff from my favorite Star Trek movie (the one about the whales) where Scotty says, "Captain, there be whales!" I just had to use this picture, even though it's slightly out of focus (actually the shoes are in focus). This young man had just visited Henna Moon and received his beautiful henna tattoo, so I went over to find Chele to show her my picture of it. She told me that he and his sister are repeat customers from last year. You can click any picture to enlarge.
The iris are coming into bloom all around town, and this picture of a delicate purple and white bouquet caught my eye and raised my spirit, just to look at them. There was no shortage of smiles around the market today, with all the people, organic veggies, sunshine, flowers galore, and festive atmosphere.
If there is anything better than a day like today in this part of the world, I'm not sure what it is. I woke early and headed out to spend the morning walking with the Fairhaven walkers group, drove home and took the bus downtown to the market.

Last night when I went to bed, I had been feeling a little depressed over the post that Jo of A Majority of Two had posted about some prepubescent girls in a dance contest who performed Beyonce's "Put a Ring on It" in very suggestive costumes and with a lot of bumping and grinding. I watched the video and then saw an interview with two of the parents who said there was nothing wrong with what they were doing; any problem was my own dirty mind. Well, excuse me for disagreeing, but I felt sick after I saw the video. I did go and watch Beyonce singing and performing the song, and it was quite entertaining. But Beyonce is in her twenties, not eight years old.

Then today at the Farmers' Market, I had the distinct joyful experience of meeting this young lady, and I felt renewed looking around at little kids being little kids. She is actually quite good, and you can see she's got a few years left before she's giving concerts.
Now I sit inside watching through my front window at the birds chomping on the bird feeders, notice the light breeze playing with the pine needles on the tree behind them, listening to Smart Guy in the kitchen washing and preparing the kale I bought at the market. As I write this post, I cannot help but think life is good today.
:-)

23 comments:

  1. Hello!
    Nice to be in here...first visit I´ll take a look around and promise to be back again next blog walking....:)
    Lovely flower group you´ve capture from the farmer market...hehehe that´s a cool tatoos... Perhaps there is a dragon...?
    Good to know that you had a wonderful and a perfect day....

    Happy sunday! greetings from Sweden with hugs..
    Khim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it nice to take a "heal thyself" day like you've just described? It restores your spirit to face another day. Loved reading about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does indeed, sound like a perfect day. We had a lovely day here too...the sun is out and it nearly reached 70F and we did lawn work...and hit some yard sales today...life is good. I am happy it is for you too, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It helps to have energy...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the photo of the little girl playing her violin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent post. It sounds like a lovely day in your part of the world. The flowers are so gorgeous. I love the sweet smell of Irises. It reminds me of my mother and the flowers she tended each spring.
    The video would be disturbing to see. Obviously it is those parents that need to have their heads examined.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful photos. Love the dragon and tht cute little girl with a violin!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel very energized today DJ! I woke up very early in the morning to do my running routine and glad to finish it without me panting because the hot weather is not that intense at all. Well glad to know that you had a lovely day roaming around the farmers market and the flowers are really gorgeous! As for the youngsters wearing suggestive clothes who are bumping and grinding, I totally disagree with it. Your mind is absolutely not dirty as well as mine, it's just not appropriate for a lady to do such acts in public, the grinding, the revealing clothes really are alarming!

    AL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I've always wanted to be able to play the violin! Good for her! That is so hopeful!!! I love the photos of the dragon and the flowers! What a fantastic farmer's market you have...I'm envious ;-) Love this post, DJ! You are such a talented and wise lady! Love you, Janine XO

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know, these farmers market posts make me want to find something comparable around here! The flowers are so pretty. I remember your post showing henna tattoos last year-they were amazing.

    I was bothered by the video, too. My husband and I discussed it and the point was brought up that the girls are innocent and don't know that what they did is perceived as sexual. That's exactly the problem I have with it-while the girls may not know the connotation, every adult that watches their routine does. I am glad you saw something today that helped balance the disgust that left you feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Why do some parents want their little kids to grow up so fast? Encouraging their kids to behave in older sensual manners is putting their kids out there for people with sick minds to see their kids in not so innocent ways. I feel sorry for the little kids.
    I really like the pics you have of the flowers. Sounds like you had a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved the dragon artwork and the flowers. So colourful and just right for this time of the year. I bet you're glad the farmers' market is back again, aren't you!
    Blessings, Star

    ReplyDelete
  13. As I read this ...it's Sunday...so I'm hoping "the life is good" feeling is still with you. We can easily find the negatives in life, but it's best to focus on the positive. And your blog certainly does that for me...so I thank you. I don't walk through life with blinders on though...I feel it's important to see the yin and the yang so I can enjoy the light in life by knowing that there is always the dark that helps me to see the light much brighter.
    Have a wonderful Sunday DJan!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I envy your beautiful farmer's markets - we are a ways away from one here in the mountains. As for the children singing and dancing suggestively - I can tell you from a developmental point of view that there will be issues later on with these young ladies. The dance was designed to entertain adults who watch Beyonce, not children. Whenever that is the goal, it is not child-centered, and therefore not in the child's best interest.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hemp tattoos, and I am not sure that is the proper name, but they are popular up here if you are too young to know better and too old to don't care and I have seen some silver haired old ladies with jewels popping everywhere, sporting a tattoo here and there. I think they are neat. And the dragon is too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those flowers are so lovely!
    I also think children should be allowed to be little as long as they can. Letting them pretend or play dress up is one thing, but performing and doing things they really don't understand is not cute or entertaining. I never did find humor at anothers' expense funny.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I took a refresher day myself yesterday. It does wonders.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loving the impressive tattoo......the flowers are gorgeous.I am going to have to make a trip to the Ann Arbor farmers market soon.I live 30 minutes away now,I miss the days in the 70's when I used to walk to it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so happy it's Farmer's Market season again. Ours starts next Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You captured very well the exhileration of vibrant spring at the market. And how wonderful to see a girl play the violin and not be tied up with premature media sex role stereotypes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What beautiful bouquets! I love mixed flowers all free form and smelling good! That little girl is just precious playing the violin..talented too no doubt.

    Little kids are made to grow up to fast now days..where is the Mother..and has she lost her senses..and I have not seen the video..I probably wouldn't want to either:(

    ReplyDelete
  22. It was a beautiful weekend, perfect for a stroll through the Farmers' Market. I still haven't been this year but next weekend for sure (Ducky Derby & airplanes got my attention this week). That is a really great tattoo.

    I consider myself to be an open minded, forward thinking individual but that video is quite disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like the dragon tattoo, and I like the flowers, and I like the little girl playing the violin – well I guess I like the whole post!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.