Thursday, September 7, 2023

My walk home

Side entrance to Cornwall Park

I decided at the last minute not to join the Senior Trailblazers for their hike up to Ptarmigan Ridge. I took a spill the other day and managed to scrape my knee and ended up with my back acting up as a consequence. It's not that I felt I couldn't actually do the hike, but it just didn't seem worth the effort while not feeling entirely healthy. I must keep in mind that there are consequences for not watching every step carefully. So, I decided to take pictures on my way home from the yoga class I took this morning.

Pickleball court

I like to walk through Cornwall Park as I begin my two-and-a-half-mile trek home. This pickleball court is always active with lots of players, making a racket I can hear for blocks before I get there. I take a fairly short route through the park, and then I cross a major street before I cross over to one of my favorite areas, East Maplewood Street. It's not very long, but I always enjoy seeing the sights.

Fantasy Village

There are obviously children who live on the street, who have created this tiny little village with an old tree that has lots of nooks and crannies. I loved to create such places when I was a kid. My imagination knew no bounds, and these little craftspeople are definitely talented too, I think.

Voluminous flowers

There are many front yards that look like this one, filled with lots of late summer flowers. I see the passage of the seasons as I often take the same routes through the year; it's lovely in every single one. 

My favorite color

This pretty pink spirea caught my eye. At least I'm pretty sure that is what we are seeing here. In any event, I spent some time admiring them and decided to share the beauty with you.

Rainbow bridge

After I leave East Maplewood and cross another busy street, I walk across this bridge, which has been painted in the colors of the rainbow. It's a community project spearheaded by Ben Mann, and you can read all about it on that website. It's also the entrance to the Birchwood neighborhood, where I live.

Blackberries galore

I then enter the final trail I follow on my way home, with plenty of these wonderful blackberries to snack on as I make my way home. Although they are from the invasive Himalayan species, that doesn't make them any less tasty.

Apples getting ripe

This tree is filled with bright red apples, which are probably ready to eat now, but since they belong to someone, I don't take any. I can see from the ones that have fallen on the ground that they are pretty wormy, anyway. But they show that the harvest season is in full swing.

 My driveway

And finally I reach the driveway that takes me up to my apartment, one in a series of twenty-six. You can't really see how up it is, which is only a problem when it's icy and cold in the winter. Today I waltzed up to my apartment and came inside to grab some fresh hugs from my honey and have some lunch. It was a good day!

:-)

12 comments:

  1. Ouch, I'm sorry about the injury DJan; but talk about taking the scenic route! My favorite photo was the pickleball court and it's beautiful backdrop, what a terrific view :^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you recover okay! I've heard neighborhoods complain about the noise of pickleball courts. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sedum 'Autumn Joy' and bees love it! Sorry to hear about your fall, hope your back is right as rain soon. Are there benches to watch the Pickleball...if so I would watch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you fell! You do have a wonderful walk, though. I do love that rainbow bridge!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you are looking after yourself and thank you for sharing your very pretty walk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes it's better to be cautious and let things heal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is good you took it easier, Jan. That is a lovely walk!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a nice walk, DJan. How did you fall... slip? trip? at home or on the trail?

    ReplyDelete
  9. My, what a lovely setting for your walk home. I would be out walking every day, too, if I had such pretty scenery with various elevations. It's very flat here. I guess that's good for older walkers, but the idea of ambling up and down and around really appeals to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's late Saturday afternoon and I'm catching up.
    Thanks for showing us more of your world, right in your neighborhood. Looks like a pleasant walk.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.