Thursday, May 27, 2021

Y Road trail up Stewart Mountain

 Well, this kind of sucks. I simply cannot put any pictures on my blog for the moment. I went on a nice hike with 13 other Senior Trailblazers and am now trying to write the post, with no luck at adding any pictures. When I try to download one, it tells me there has been "an unexpected error in processing my photo. Please try again later." I tried pulling up the post in another browser, but I got the same notice.

Then I tried a different photo, same problem. So, I guess, not knowing how long this error will continue, I'll try to paint some word pictures. Here goes.

The weather was expected to be atrocious, and it rained all night, so I figured I'd better be ready for anything. Rain pants, rain hat, and my most trusty rain jacket. I supposed I should have also added a rain poncho, just in case, but I took my chances and headed to my friend Melanie's house to carpool with her. I sure didn't expect many people to show up on a day like today, but I was mistaken: 14 of us met at 8:30 in the Y Road parking lot. We were ready!

(I just took a moment to try once again to load a photo. No luck.) We trudged up the service road until it takes off into the forest on some muddy but passable trails, climbing upward as we hiked. Although we were dressed for rain, it hadn't come yet, and I began to get quite warm, so I ditched my hat and opened my jacket, hoping that it wouldn't be seen by the Universe as me actually believing that the rain would stay away. The wind blew in some pretty strong gusts, and the heavy dark sky overhead warned of the rain to come.

After we reached a viewpoint, and saw that we could see downtown Bellingham, which was bathed in sunlight (while we still expected any moment to be drenched), we decided to stop for a quick snack and settled into a nice little spot out of the wind. We chatted for awhile, and four of our hikers decided to head back down, thinking I suppose that they might stay dry while the rest of us would deal with the rain.

After a bit, we also decided instead of going any farther, maybe we should head back down. It would mean a round trip of under six miles, although we'd climbed 1,400 feet and would have to deal with rather steep and muddy trails back to the cars. So that's what we did.

And now, after having been frustrated by Blogspot's inability to let me post any pictures (I'll try one more time: nope), I'll just stop here and let you know what a great day we had, even if it didn't actually begin to rain until we reached the parking lot, and those heavy clouds gave us a chance to thumb our noses at them before heading home. Here's a link to the trailhead and the hike.

:-)

15 comments:

  1. I am also have troubles loading photos. Hopefully blogger will get on to it. Soon.
    I am thrilled that you had a great day - and can imagine the smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Multiple parties are having that same issue today

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems like everybody is not able to post photos Oh well! You had a great hike with no rain. However , I hate hiking with rain gear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A couple of days ago I couldn't load blogger itself. Then it came back. Glad you hiked and avoided being washed away by the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had trouble with loading videos, paragraph spacing, and font sizes. Blogger has been ornery and erratic for a couple of months for me but the no videos was new this week. Grrr!

    BUT--you did a good job of creating a visual with words. I think it was a good call to make it back to the parking lot right as the rain started up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here too. I went out and cleaned my browser cache, and rebooted ... It then worked uploading photos.

    Sounds like a terrific hike even tho the step goal wasn't achieved.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a terrific turn out of hikers and the rain held off.
    Hope Anni's solution works for you. Blogger is a sanity test sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well that worked well enough without the pics although I can understand the frustration. I have everything crossed, hoping that it doesn't happen to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, too bad you cannot post any pictures. It was a dry hike, though, so you can consider yourself lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I couldn't load a photo either until late last night. I complained to blogger:) I did clear my Google Chrome cache.
    You had a great hike! Good for you...what no wine:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay for missing the rain. Nay for lack of photos. However you did a great job with word pictures, Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  12. On Whidbey Island yesterday we did not have rain but the wind was ferocious.
    The photo problem must be fixed because I just posted a bunch of them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, you painted a good word picture. Obviously all of us who use Blogger had that problem yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope the picture posting problem gets resolved soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have you tried closing everything down completely and rebooting the system. That often works for me when crazy things happen. I know it can be aggravating.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.