Thursday, May 20, 2021

Lily, Lizard and North Butte

Happy birthday to Joy! (Melanie took the pic)

Sixteen Trailblazers met in the parking lot of the Upper Trailhead on Blanchard Mountain, and we immediately broke into two groups, one going farther and faster, while the other group (mine) gathered in front of this sign to wish Joy a very happy birthday. In two days she will reach her ninth decade of life and turn 80!

We are going farther these days, and I will just barely be able to finish this post before it's time for our Trailblazers Zoom meeting. Since we never saw the other group today, it will be fun to hear from them how it went. We saw Richard, who was with that group while his other half, Chris, joined us. He told us they went to Samish Oyster Dome, as well as Lily and Lizard Lakes for around nine miles. We, on the other hand, visited Lily and Lizard as well as North Butte, for around eight miles and took our time, going much more slowly. We spent some time at each place we visited.

Lily Lake

Lily Lake actually has some lily pads, which is the only way I can tell the difference between these two lakes. The sun came and went all day, but I had a peek of sun just in time to illuminate these lily pads.

The view from North Butte

We again had a bit of sun to capture the view from the North Butte lookout, which entails a bit of a hike from Lily Lake, and then afterwards back down to Lizard Lake.

Lizard Lake

We spent a good bit of time here, and stopped for a nice lunch. The breeze picked up and nobody was all that warm, but it was still quite a lovely day. 

Lovely trillium

We also saw quite a few trillium that are mostly done blooming for the season. We also saw lots of woodland violets and other flowers, but I didn't get any pictures of them, unfortunately. This was a rather long hike for me these days, and I'm finding myself feeling quite content to finish this post a bit early and get read for the Zoom call. We also went up and down around 1,600 feet, and my feet can tell you all about what that feels like! All in all, it was a really good day, and I'm happy I went. The Trailblazers are back!

:-)


15 comments:

  1. D J? Beautiful photos & most beautiful hike. It's good to get back to the normal numbers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was quite the hike! So glad you can be with like minded friends! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful that the Trailblazers are back.
    I am in awe (again) at what your 'slower' group achieved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are all back into the flow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terrific! I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know you have missed this and so glad you got to enjoy the group. Normal is coming back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Things are getting back to normal for you!! Makes me happy just to hear about it...and see the pictures, of course. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! Quite a milestone in this pandemic.

    The early spring flowers are so lovely and welcome after the miserable winter weather.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad to hear the Trailblazers are back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm happy for you that you get to go hiking with your friends again. A slower group is a good idea, but you went almost as far. You got to stop and see the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are all coming out of our shells these days; it'll take a while to get back to normal. I think you're ahead of most of us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with Tom that we are all 'gradually' coming out of our shells. Some of us are slower than others. And I agree that you are probably ahead of me... but I'm getting there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the color of the trillium. I guess it must be middle aged? I'm always so curious of the names of lakes and trails in your area.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How grand for you - to be back with friends and your extraction behind you!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.