Monday, May 24, 2021

Stump stories

Magnificent old stump in its dotage

On my walk around the neighborhood to accumulate steps to help keep myself from deteriorating too much during the pandemic, I often pass by this old stump on East Maplewood Avenue. It's really quite well maintained, and the people who keep it in good shape are either children, or adults, or both. Isn't it fun? If you look towards the middle of the scene, under the red-and-blue door, there is a train track going into the bowels of the stump. Not really, but a closeup does make me wonder.

Magic fairies might be the train conductors

There are many old stumps in my neighborhood, telling of another time in which these giant trees threw their shade far and wide, for so many animals and humans to enjoy. These days, they are magnets for those of us who believe in magic.

I wish there was some way to take a trip back in time and see what this street looked like fifty to a hundred years ago. There are dozens of old stumps like this one on this short little street with quaint homes (which are much sought after, considering how much they sell for today). It does make me really grateful that I am able to live in such a beautiful place in our country. I love it here!

:-)

21 comments:

  1. How special, it gives the passersby a little something to smile about !
    Well done people....
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a magnificent old stump! Reminds me of all the elves that live in rocks and stumps in Iceland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some very creative neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes! It's definitely fun. You really do live in a gorgeous, green, lush part of the country, DJan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder about stumps too. I know the story of several big ones near me. Those grand old trees made way for development, or even worse, were taken down by property owners because "trees are Messy".
    On Saturday one of our garden guests was a person new to me. In conversation we connected because our fathers came from logging industries. She knows trees, and adored what she called "old growth trees", our two very big Douglas Fir trees and our two even bigger Western Red Cedars. I don't like to think of what will happen to them once we leave this property.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely. I would very, very happily go on that time trip with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Makes me think of that book, "The Giving Tree"...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that magical old stump! What a joy to walk by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. When you find a place you love, it makes the living easier. Love how creative that family is with the old stump, giving the remains new life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How cool that someone has let that tree live on as a magical place instead of digging it out, roots and all so that it never existed. Now it is fun for whoever passes by. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you find a photo of the street when it still had glorious trees. We do need more trees and less concrete, especially here in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh - that is absolutely delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love finding things like this when out on a walkabout. I just wish I was clever enough to put something like that together for my own yard. I don't have a tree stump, but there are other whimsical scenes I've seen in people's yards that would be a fun thing to try.

    ReplyDelete
  14. All those stumps along the street would make me wonder about their former splendor, too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear DJan;, your posting reminded me of one I read yesterday on Joanne's blog called "Cup on the Bus." She reviews a book on forests. I was so intrigued by it, that I looked and found it in the library and have added it to "my wish" list of books to read this year. (Hopefully!) Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is really sweet and imaginative; we have a couple giant stumps on my street, one right in front of my building. Why don't people do this sort of thing here? I think the Pacific Northwest is more artful & creative then the East Coast... I sure liked this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is so creative & fun!!! I'm sure there are archive pictures online of your area.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.