Tuesday, September 10, 2019

I made it

Me in front of Coleman Glacier and Mt Baker
Last Thursday, I was able to get to this spot, thanks to my fellow Trailblazers having brought along a rope that gave me the confidence to traipse through knee-deep glacier water to get here. Not knowing if I will ever be back to this spot, I asked my friend Kirk to take a picture of me to mark the event.

I had gone to the acupuncturist last week asking if he thought my knee would be okay for the trip, since it's been giving me trouble for a few weeks now. He gave me his blessing (after lots of testing), and I went ahead and made the not-too-long hike and was fine. Except I have to admit that the downhill was painful, and it reminded me that my knee is not a hundred percent yet. Maybe it never will be again, and I'll have to deal with it, but it doesn't seem like it will be a problem on moderate hikes. Lots of steep downhill isn't in the cards right now.

So, because of that, I'll be skipping this coming Thursday's hike to Church Mountain. Instead, I'll find some nice flat terrain and get my steps in by myself. In a couple of hours, it will be time to visit the acupuncturist again, and hopefully he can help make this persistent pain a little better. In any event, I'm slowly but surely getting better. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
:-)

10 comments:

  1. HUGE congratulations. LOVE the photo of your triumphant self.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can stick to your story but I hope the knee gets back to normal. things take longer to heal these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope the trip to the acupuncturist is helpful. Congrats and I love the photo!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific photo. Your downhill pain, I think, is to be expected. As you say, it just may now always cause discomfort. But, you're a trooper. You'll figure out some way to stay fit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should take Advil or some other anti-inflammatory meds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you are getting in a level trip Thursday. Don't want you overdoing but doing is important. I'm pleased you have someone you trust to help you through your recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you! Yeah, downhill seems worse for my (arthritic) knee as well. I find a simple support brace (just the kind you get at the drug store) helps to give a little stability ... and a little more confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you! I hope you just get stronger and stronger. What a view.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.