Saturday, February 23, 2019

Yep, I'm getting older

Hannegan Pass in August 2018
I am very grateful to be able to hike into the mountains every summer with the Senior Trailblazers. I've been doing it for a decade now, and I'm slower than I was, but for as long as I'm able, I'll be out there. I ran across a book of poems which I am enjoying tremendously, Older, Wiser, Shorter by Jane Seskin, and she's got me thinking about getting older in a bit different way than I usually do.

It has troubled me when I can no longer keep up with the others on some of the hikes we do every year. But then again, I'm still continuing to age and instead of thinking of how fortunate I am, I have been lamenting the inevitable changes that come with age. Well, I'm done with that! Here's a particularly relevant poem from Jane:

This is About the Right Now

It's not
the beginning
nor the end
but all those 
damn wonderful
exquisite moments,

the ones in between,
at odd times
unexpected, the ones that fall in
your lap, off your lips,
out of your hands,

can't be duplicated,
the moments where
you inhale in surprise,
in delight and feel full
with gratitude, so
extraordinarily lucky

to be here
in this place,
doing this thing,
at this exact
moment
in time.
:-)

19 comments:

  1. The magnificent joy of now! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great poem, I will check out her book. I am retired and the subject appeals to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect poem for this time in life. I love the photo. Frame it and put it on your desk with a copy of this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it's those 'magic moments' that stay with you forever. I read somewhere once "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened" - fits so many situations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At this age we have much to be thankful for. Enjoy it while we can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, that's how I felt this afternoon on a stroll that I will share in a post tomorrow.
    My ability to be physically active is diminishing much too quickly, but I will continue to reach for, pay attention to, those moments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How I needed that poem this morning.....thank you!
    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful poem!
    Whatever shape I am in, I am lucky to be here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so agree ... don't lament the things we've lost, be grateful for the things we have. And be open to new possibilities all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful poem. I could not have written such a poem that certainly resonated with you and me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the title of her book. She is showing up on a couple of blogs and I love her poems. At first I thought the price a bit steep for 82 pages but the more I read of her, I think she is worth it

    ReplyDelete
  12. We should go our own pace and never be concerned about keeping up. Aging is a beautiful part of life in my opinion, and I don't need,a poem to tell me this. It's all mind over matter IMHO

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are all getting older, but you seem to be doing it better than most!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm thinking you would leave me behind on a hike with you. Lovely poem.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear DJan, thank you for sharing the poem and the poet's name. I'll see if the library has one of her books. This aging business takes getting used to but finding the nuggets of gold in the new lifestream can be so gentle on our souls. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The poem expresses my feelings exactly! Let's just keep going, slow but sure, as long as we can.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.