Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Winter, finally

Boulevard Park on Superbowl Sunday
Sunday brought us the first snow of the season here in Bellingham, and then the winds started, coming down from the Fraser Valley in Canada, and the temperature dropped precipitously. I stayed inside on Sunday (after my usual trip to the coffee shop, that is, and my hour-long private session with my yoga teacher). I tried to watch the Superbowl, but it didn't hold my interest, and then the team I wanted to win lost. I watched a little TV and then went to bed, listening to the roar of the wind outside.

Monday morning it was still blowing, and the snow had pretty much stopped. Not knowing how bad the roads would be, I walked to the bus stop a half mile away, bundled up with plenty of down, long underwear, and mittens to keep me warm. I made it just fine, but the wind was brutal. Bellingham didn't get nearly as much snow as Seattle did, and what there was on Monday was made worse by the unrelenting wind.

The schools were all closed yesterday and today, and I pondered calling Monday afternoon to cancel my appointments to help people write their Advance Directives. But happily for me, the office closed for the day, and I didn't venture out again until this morning. Still cold, but the sun came out and it's actually rather nice when you're properly clothed. The wind died down to practically nothing. Now it seems almost normal outside. I'm glad I lived in Colorado before moving here: it toughened me up.
:-)

15 comments:

  1. I suspect you were always a tough cookie.
    Love those wintry scenes, and am glad you are warm, comfortable and safe
    Looking forward to hearing about your one on one yoga class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got snow too! Bet yours melts before ours:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did the best thing by staying home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Properly clothed--that's the answer to cold weather. I don't have any proper clothing for really cold temps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those snowy days are good days to be inside. I know you always have books to read. That would be much better than any sports to me--LOL! ;) Careful walking outside when it's slippery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking pretty but wind really takes the fun out of snow. Like you, I don't mind the cold if properly dressed but a stiff wind goes right through you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, the way you describe your weather makes me grateful to live in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks so pretty but the biting wind would not suit me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The wind is always the kicker here, Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. After Monday, we have ad beautiful blue sky and calm winds. Still snowy and slickery here. I resorted to exercising on my stationary bike today, in the garage. Walking is too hazardous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. After winters in Colorado I would think that Bellingham’s winter would be tame for you. The snow on the mountains for your next walks will make the scenery even prettier.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We just got a dusting here in Portland. But rumor has it another big storm is supposed to hit on Saturday. Wah-hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, so many areas are reminiscent of Colorado winters. Here it's been in the 80's...but a cold front is moving in (goodie, more rain)

    That's a pretty photo of the snow...from here, where I'm dry & warm.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.