Thursday, December 21, 2017

First day of winter

Trailblazers hiking Lookout Mountain today
And no, I wasn't with them, since it was only Tuesday I had that second eye done. I'm taking it easy, but I'll be back next week if all goes as planned. Chris sent me this picture this morning to tell me about eight hardy souls who hiked up Lookout Mountain in some light snow on this, the first official day of winter. As usual I had to laugh at Richard's short sleeves on a day like today when it isn't even going to reach freezing. He's just naturally warm blooded. Melanie sent me a couple of pictures, too. She must be behind the camera in this one:
Trailblazers at trailhead
Even at the beginning of the hike, Richard is underdressed, making me feel cold just to look at him. I'm pretty sure that they enjoyed themselves, even in the frigid temperatures, but I'm not sorry I couldn't join them today.
Leo blowing out his birthday candles
On Monday evening, I went to my friend Leo's home to help him celebrate his ninth birthday. We had a wonderful time, but I had to leave early because of the need to stop eating and get ready for the next day's surgery. It went very well, and on Tuesday I had the patch taken off and saw... not much. Everything was blurry and totally different from the previous surgery, when I could see everything as soon as they removed it. However, by yesterday, things were much more clear, and today when I woke I realized the miracle is complete: I am now able to see everything I need to without glasses except for distance.

And the other miracle is that my doctor was willing to give me a prescription for distance glasses ahead of time, and I took it to Links Optical here in Bellingham and bought a new pair of glasses, which were prepared for me in just a few hours! And when I put them on and looked out at the world, for the first time in simply ages, I could see 20/20 once again! For now, the missing vision is invisible with my two new intraocular lenses.

I am sitting here in front of my laptop without my glasses, seeing crystal clear, and feel like I've been given a reprieve from the darkness that I felt closing in on me with AMD. What a Christmas gift I've been given. I am feeling incredibly fortunate. Oh, and one more thing: a picture of Leo and me, showing how much he's grown this year.
Me and Leo on the occasion of his ninth birthday
:-)

18 comments:

  1. What a wonderful Christmas present--sight. I'm sure you are most grateful.

    My how Leo has grown over these years that I've been following your blog. You don't age, but that little guy is certainly growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO happy to hear that the surgery was successful!! And look at Leo! Nine? Already?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am THRILLED to hear that your surgeries made SUCH a difference. On the other side of the world I am smiling so broadly my face hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! The miracle of modern medicine! I am happy for you Jan. Before long you will be hiking again.

    Leo has grown a lot this last year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's really great to hear how your surgery turned out. What a new lease on life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds wonderful! You are one lucky lady!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful news! It's so good to hear success stories like yours.
    You and Leo are both looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad to hear that all went well. Have a wonderful magical Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YES!!! It was what I expected but am delighted that it is so. We can now exhale. A bright new world awaits you. What a marvelous Christmas gift.
    How cute that picture of you and Leo. He sure is growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on your great outcome ... so be careful, watch where you're going when you're walking up in them there hills!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How wonderful! What a Christmas gift! Love the picture of you and Leo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMGosh! Leo is nine already! So glad you got to attend before the surgery. :)

    Your friends are so sweet to send you pictures. They know full well how much you miss being out there with them. :)

    Whoohoo!! New eyes and new glasses and a bright future!! What a wonderful Christmas present!!! So happy for you. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so thankful that you can see almost as good as new! Whew!! So glad that is over for you! Renewed sight is a wonderful gift:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are doing so well DJan. I am delighted for you. Happy Christmas indeed!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful news on the success of your eye surgery, it can only get better !
    Little Leo is not so little any longer, he's such a lovely, sweet and happy young man.
    Happy Birthday dear Leo, sorry I'm late :)
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are so very fortunate to have 20/20 visin again I feel very happy for you.
    While the technology has made it possible for many there are still others like myself where the macula and retina are derteriorating and in my casr I now cannot read regular print in mail at all. I use my phone, take pics , enlarge and read for now. I pray for stem cell repair to happen sooner so I might have another chance but that is a long shot wish.
    In the moment I wish you a very Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.