Tuesday, May 16, 2023

We made it through the heat

Squalicum Harbor last week

 As you might know, the Pacific Northwest just went through a really strong heat wave, way early in the season (early to mid-May). A couple of places in the area had temperatures that were ten or more degrees above normal. And yesterday, when I walked home from the bus at midday, oh was I HOT! It got to 84°F (29°C) with full sun beating down, and as I walked the three miles home, I was super uncomfortable. After having had below-normal springtime temperatures, now we are dealing with way above-normal ones, with no in between. 

Last night, however, after the sun went down the heat began to moderate a little. Although when I woke this morning the apartment was still much warmer than usual  (with windows open and fans going), I could feel a light breeze coming in through the window, and when I walked to the bus this morning, it was so much cooler than the day before, that I was hopeful it wouldn't get too hot today. Sure enough, now that we have reached almost peak temperature for the day, it's more than ten degrees cooler than yesterday. Whew! I just don't do well in such hot conditions. The thing that bothers me the most is that we are still five weeks away from the first official day of summer. I sure hope it was an anomaly and won't repeat itself soon. But it's just a hope. 

We moved away from Boulder when we retired, partly because the summers had grown so much hotter. From an average of fewer than 40 days when it was 90 degrees or hotter, it had changed to well over 100. And we usually didn't have (or need) air conditioning. We came to this part of the country where it is mild and has a cooling onshore breeze from the ocean on most days. There is nowhere to go from here, so we will just grin and bear it, like most other seniors on fixed incomes around the country. And be grateful for what we have, which is more than many others can afford.

So for the remainder of this week, I will enjoy the sunshine and cool breezes and the companionship of my family and friends. Life is good!

:-)

13 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful photo of the harbor, and I'm a little shocked but I shouldn't be--you walk 3 miles home from the bus?? You must have bionic legs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It cooled off rapidly last night here, with cool air coming in to cool off the up stairs and making sleeping much more comfortable. Then this morning the air was fresh again. It is predicted to be in the low 80's here for the next few days, but that will be better than 90!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Went to that same really hot here very quickly, too! I do not do well in the heat, either. I hope your weather gats back to normal temps soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we are going to have to get used to extreme highs in temperature. We will have to use something other than air conditions to keep coll.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous view but oh that heat. Shudder. I hope so much that is is an anomaly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are verging on frost right now. Brrr.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have the heat on here again this morning. A bit of what you experienced wouldn’t hurt here. Stay cool, Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The highs are in the 80s here so you would not like Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  9. DJan, I'm curious. Do you not have/or need air-conditioning there? I guess being used to Texas and Louisiana summers, I find it hard to imagine life without it - although we didn't have it growing up and we survived.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think Hawaii will be too hot for you. I love it - especially since I have air conditioning in case it goes over 80°.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful view!

    Here it got down near freezing last night, and has been cool all day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The heat wave was harder for our upstairs tenant. We're in the cooler basement, so we managed pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 90+ degrees is not comfortable at all. I don't even like it when it gets to 85. I didn't know Colorado gets so hot. I thought it was a cool state.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.