Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Spring in full swing

Apple blossoms over the fence

Every year I see this massive display of apple blossoms in the next-door neighbor's yard, and I sometimes wonder what happens to most of them. There are lots of apples, but not this many, so do some just fail to get fertilized and fall to the ground? I wish I knew more about flowering plants, but there's always the internet if I get interested enough to find out. They are awfully pretty right now, though, I must say.

Today when I walked to the bus stop, I didn't even feel the need for a jacket, just a warm vest, but I ended up feeling cold now and then and regretted my decision every time the wind picked up. I don't mind feeling cold when I know that soon the bus will arrive and I'll get warm once again. Frankly, I'll take cold any day over heat, which apparently we have coming up this weekend, just in time for Mother's Day. It is very rare for us to reach such warm temperatures so early in the year, and that makes me a bit anxious that we will have another awful hot summer. I hope not!

Lately I have been feeling a bit melancholy, for no obvious reason I can ascertain. The weather is great, I've been getting in my usual level of activity, and my days are full. Perhaps it's the news of the world, especially this country, which is on track to hit a record number of mass shootings for the year. Every time I see the chyron crawl on the TV screen, even if I'm not listening to it, I see that yet another one has occurred, with lots of innocent people slaughtered, usually by an AR-15, an assault weapon of war that has flooded our communities. 

I recently saw a statistic that is startling: In the US, there are 125 guns for every 100 people. That scares me silly, and makes me wonder for what reason do people purchase them? I don't have a gun and have never held one in my hands. I hope I never do. So maybe that is what is causing this melancholy feeling. I know it will pass as I get more involved in my day-to-day living. I am surrounded by good friends and a dear partner who helps in every way he can. 

So, I will distract myself with another walk in the springtime beauty, and I will tend to my front porch garden as well. It's time, just a few short weeks until the unofficial beginning of summer. There is so much to be grateful for, and looking for those precious moments of bliss will displace my sadness. I hope so, anyway. Now I'm off to the garden store for supplies.

:-)

14 comments:

  1. If the apple tree did have fruit for every blossom I doubt it could carry the weight.
    I hope your melancholy passes quickly dear friend. And how I wish sense would prevail about the 'need' for guns in your country - and in particular the need for assault rifles.
    Focus on your spring - and have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just have to live our quiet lives and be part of the majority that escapes violence. If we can do something about it, then we need to. If we can't, then pray and cry a little, and continue to live to our fullest. Spring in your part of the country is SO glorious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tend to your garden, DJan, and enjoy the spring weather and flowers. The rest is beyond your control (or mine) for the most part... so dwelling on it does no good. I would like to think that the majority of people in the US are against violence and want more gun control.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those blossoms must make the walk such a pleasure! Enjoy the bloomin’ bliss, Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked what Rian said, I very much agree. I hate to feel or sound defeated, but it's just going to continue until enough people have HAD enough. PS I tried logging in 5 times on here, another losing battle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My blues come from a medication I'm on. The gun situation just gets more scary. What are these people thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I work hard not to feel too low these days but it is usually because of pain and and not being able to do all the gardening work I usually do this time of year. I have had issues with my "good" hip, tendonitis, muscle sprain, and then my bad knee on that side. I did too much two weeks ago and I'm still paying for it. I am working on pacing myself and being patient with myself.
    Spring is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Plant your flowers and think good thoughts. I hope the feeling passes quickly. I am also very familiar with that wave of sorrow for humanity. All we can do is send it some love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The one thing we can ALL do is VOTE and get rid of as many of the MAGA republinuts as we can!
    Thoughts, prayers, good vibes ... how well has that worked? Crickets!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It’s changing fast here. I went down a side street and saw blossoms. The pace of change is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hunting and protection! Many of us live more than 30 minutes from Law Enforcement!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a very pretty tree. Too bad about the evil in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also experience a bit of melancholy at times. As Marcia says, “Vote!” Encourage others, who may think their vote doesn’t matter, to also vote! We will have lots of blossoms on our apple trees, but rarely more than an apple or two. Same with the pear trees.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If you're feeling down about the world check out the TED talks by Hans Rosling. Should make you feel better.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.