Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Summer is here

Whatcom Falls

You have seen me this scene with me many times over the years. On Saturday, Melanie and I walked through Whatcom Falls Park and I took a picture of the low level of water in the falls right now. We've been having little to no rainfall, which is the reason for its meager flow. Sometimes after it's been really rainy, the water flows from one side to the other, covering all the rocks, and creating a roar as loud as a jet plane, but we were able to talk to each other in almost normal voices, it's so tame at the moment. Still awfully pretty, though.

And yes, summer is unofficially here, after passing through the Memorial Day celebrations around town, with the annoying closures of so many places I like to visit. Today I went back to my favorite coffee shop, which was closed for two days this weekend: Sunday and Monday. No yoga class yesterday either, since the Senior Center was closed. We are back to normal, and now the summer has begun in earnest.


The days are long, and the nights are short, but I discovered a lovely sleep mask, thanks to my brother during our family gathering at Thanksgiving. I ordered one as soon as I got home (he had lent his to me, which was a lifesaver), and I use mine every night, once I climb into bed, all ready for it to be dark outside, and with the help of the sleep mask, it is! It is soft and fuzzy, washable and adjustable, and the little divot in the front is where my nose goes after I slip it over my head. It covers my ears and doesn't slip around, so I am able to fall into a deep sleep pretty quickly. I had never seen one like this before, but now I am able to enter into the darkness right away, no matter what is actually going on outside.

It is amazing how the little things in life can add up to create a delightful environment, fit for a queen! No need to travel anywhere except into my nightly slumbers with plenty of dreams to enjoy. Funny how when I enter the dark, the scenes behind my eyelids fill with marvelous and vivid stories. 
I dreamed I was a butterfly, flitting around in the sky; then I awoke. Now I wonder: Am I a man who dreamt of being a butterfly, or am I a butterfly dreaming that I am a man? —Zhuangzi

 Well, I know I am not a man, but I have been one in my dreams, as well as a butterfly once, long ago. Life is good, and I am definitely enjoying living, being awake, and dreaming.

:-)


16 comments:

  1. That really is a lovely waterfall to behold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The waterfall is a delight - always.
    Your dreams are much more exotic? than mine. I mostly dream in conversations and I am always me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're getting to spend time with your best pal, DJan--and the sleep mask does look peaceful. I may have to look for one of those for myself. And your dreams surprised me! I've never dreamt I was anyone but my old self.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to enlarge the waterfall pic - and it felt like I was there. As for the mask, I've thought of trying one although I generally fall asleep with my glasses on and a book in my bed. And dreaming! Well, I agree with EC and Dug, I do dream a lot, but it's 'always me'... except for one 'out of body' ?? experience where I may have still been me... just without the body??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the info on the sleep mask. I went straight over to Amazon and one is on the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great way to get to sleep. I have some difficulty getting to sleep. For one thing , I go to bed too early.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Though less impressive in volume, I can't imagine the falls being any prettier than this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have dreamt I am myself but in other time periods and even as a male. Can go for long spells not remembering my dreams and then suddenly they are voluminous. Lovely waterfall--whether less or more water. Glad you had time with Melanie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never knew a Sleep Mask existed. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wonder if I need a sleep mask. I am slightly claustrophobic and sleep with my windows and door open.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have room darkening window blinds to darken the room enough. I don't think I could be happy wearing a a sleep mask like that.
    I often play a little game with myself when I wake for the first time in the morning, trying to guess what time it is by the light, or lack of light, coming in the bathroom window. Now I have to guess earlier and earlier. In the deep winter it's too dark too late to guess.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a delightful, positive post. Dream on DJan.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't have to have dark to sleep. Just my head on a comfy pillow that is not to big and not too small or not to hard but not too soft...just right and I like my feet to be uncovered...I put socks on so they don't get cold:) Sometimes I sleep the best in daylight! I dream most every night...:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have definitely never seen a sleep mask like that before. You have lovely dreams. I have rather confusing, weird ones.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have definitely never seen a sleep mask like that before. You have lovely dreams. I have rather confusing, weird ones.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.