Thursday, May 25, 2023

Maple Grove with the Trailblazers

(from left) John, Leeann, Terry, Julie, Karen, (?), Linda

It always happens to me this way: I meet a lot of new people and one I didn't ride with and I met briefly, I have forgotten her name. Anyway, I was behind the camera, but these are the seven people I hiked with today (Connie?). We had a great time driving the long distance to the trailhead, which starts on the other side of the Baker Dam. It's about an hour and a half drive, but well worth every minute.

Leeann and HUGE tree

It turns out that Leeann is a major tree hugger, and her friends believe that this might be the biggest one of all she's hugged. I have admired this tree every time I've done the hike.

Lots of green and lot of maidenhair ferns

This hike is so pretty and green, all year round, but I am always thrilled by the huge number of maidenhair ferns that abound in this area. They are my favorite, as you can see them on the right-hand side of the picture in profusion.

Bridge across Baker Creek

The hike is four miles from the trailhead to Maple Grove campground, and we must cross over the roaring creek on this rickety bridge. It's not as scary as it looks here, but I never let go of the guideline the entire way across, both directions.

Foam flower

There were plenty of beautiful flowers, and this picture shows the foam flower rather well, but many of the others I took didn't turn out. Suffice it to say, they were abundant and much admired by our group. And then we were at the lake!

Mt. Baker and the lake

It was truly beautiful and quite a perfect day. We stopped here for a nice lunch and enjoyed each other's company for about a half hour before turning around and returning the way we had come.

Me and Baker

I asked Julie to take a picture of me so I would also be chronicled as well as everyone else taken in that first picture. It was such a gorgeous day, and everything turned out better than we could have hoped for.

Just as pretty on the return trip

I would say, for the entire group, that the day's exertions were well worth everything, including the long drive (thank you drivers Julie and Linda), but it all turned out perfectly. Now I am home, finishing up the post so that I can grab a quick bite before settling in for the rest of the day. I love this new Senior Trailblazers hiking group!

:-)

12 comments:

  1. It's been a long time since you've done a hike like this. It looks like you picked a good area for your hike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great trail and with a great group. Sounds and looks perfect, Jan. Enjoy the evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a gorgeous hike and a gorgeous photo of you with the mountain and lake behind you. I know you have an iPhone. Do you know you can edit your photos and then choose Shadows and lighten dark area? It’s a very handy tool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! I was writing this comment with my iPad and I see I forgot to say it was me. Every time I use my iPad for comments, I keep coming out as Anonymous. Darn!

      Delete
  4. It looks an absolutely beautiful day. I am so glad that you have another group to hike with. And yes, I would love to hug that tree too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. DJan, the photo of you in front of Mt Baker and that lake is just gorgeous. I can't even imagine such serenity. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love those pics of the lake. I never get tired of looking at them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad you have settled in with the group! I hope you have lots of good summer hikes:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too like that pic of you and Baker... had to enlarge it as well as several others. Looks like a good group and a lovely hike.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad it sounds like you have a good group to hike with! Also love the pic of you and Baker. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. A wonderful trail with new friends! Your maidenhair looks so different from our maidenhair ferns. I have a couple in the house - one that has large roundish "leaves" and one has smaller roundish leaves on long stems. I, too, love maidenhair!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.