Saturday, May 7, 2016

Learning all about gastropods

I think this is an Arion rufus
When I was last at the library, I looked up a couple of books about slugs and snails, also known as gastropods, a family of mollusks that end up in my garden, eating everything in sight. I bought two large bags of those hazelnut shells in the background, because I was told that slugs didn't like their sharp points and would avoid the tasty garden plants. Yeah, right. As you can see from the state of my collard leaves, they did little to nothing to discourage this guy.

I did buy a bait trap for slugs and snails from Amazon, which should arrive today, designed as a rather humane way to kill slugs and snails. It has three wells in which the gardener is supposed to pour some beer in order to drown the slugs. They are attracted to the smell, and the book I am reading from the library has some interesting tips about beer and gastropods: apparently they much prefer Budweiser to other beers. It's been awhile since I bought that beer, but I'll give it a try.

The book is called The Secret Lives of Slugs and Snails: Life in the Very Slow Lane. The author suggested that I go out into my garden early in the morning to see if I could find any of my unwanted pests, which I did, and the guy in the picture is, I believe, an Arion rufus variety. Yes, there he was, hanging out happily in my tattered plant, so I tapped him on the back and watched him curl into a ball. Then I picked him up and threw him over the fence. After having learned about these gastropods from the book, I just couldn't bring myself to kill him. At least he'll need to navigate over the hazelnut shells again. By then, hopefully, my plant will have recovered enough to survive.
:-)

18 comments:

  1. This post is so funny. Hey, I need a good laugh now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. slugs are a nuisance. I don't mind killing them. I go out late in the evening and pick them up. I use a little trowel as I don't like having to wash off the slime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, though it's not funny to have your dinner eaten by pests. We will be slugging it out this summer as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i've heard that about the beer many times. hope it works!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh...I hate slugs. We used to give our kids the salt shaker and let them have at 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck. Even a slug has to eat. And eat. And eat. And eat some more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd drink the beer instead!! As long as it's icy cold.

    Hope it works...all that time and effort gardening to see it chewed away is not good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's one thing rhe west coast has that we don't - giant slugs! I've heard of the beer trick, but didn't know they prefer Budweiser!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We've used beer to kill slugs before. It does work. But I didn't know they preferred a certain kind. We usually have some beer in the refrig for the boys. We just pour a little into shallow bowls or jar tops and find drowned slugs in it fairly soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We don't have snails and slugs here so they are fascinating to me--and a bit creepy, I suppose. Part of the price you pay for such lush surroundings, I guess--LOL! I guess it's "Bottoms up!" for the gastopods. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I couldn't stop laughing at that first photo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Had to smile at your humane banishment of the slug. I would have done the same and probably sent him off with an "Eat weeds you ingrate."

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beer does work, but you need to keep emptying the nasty mess.
    You are too kind. You should never get too attached to or knowledgeable about anything you want to kill. Slugs included, especially!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I pick mine up early in the morning just after the sun comes up as they are skittering away to hide and pick up dozens of them and throw them in the plastic pot with salt and water - Yah, they die and it doesn't bother me. I got tired of them eating my tomatoes. I also have used dulse or seaweed - I can tell you, they really do not like dulse, but I didn't want to waste my dulse. I have also picked them up with a scoop, till the scoop is filled and throw them out on the road. They usually don't make it across the road, and if they do, its on the other side of my garden, so I don't care. I am really nasty on slug days. No humane feelings or gestures at all on those slimy buggers. ha,ha Loved your Post DJan Girl.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just squish the buggers, You can fill containers of beer and then bury the containers at soil level and they will drown in beer ...what a way to go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Into every gardener's life a few slugs must crawl. I remember trying the beer strategy; it didn't work for me. But I'm a lousy gardener, so it just might work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. They are a pest I'm afraid Djan. Just put some salt on him next time!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My neighbor said to put cracked eggshells out because they don't like it. We had to eat a bunch of eggs and scattered them. Didn't work at all. Beer? Hmmmm....

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.