Saturday, May 14, 2016

Bellingham family and friends


Gene with his tablet and me
Yesterday, I asked a fellow coffee shop person to take this picture of me with Gene, but he really didn't want to cooperate. This is the best of three shots. Usually Gene doesn't use his tablet in the coffee shop and gives the rest of us grief for sitting and staring at the screen, just like he's doing here, instead of visiting with each other. My iPad is taking this picture, or you'd see me doing much the same as him.
Robert and Leo
Before I walked out the door on my way to the gym, I saw Leo having breakfast with his dad, Robert. Leo obliged by letting me take this picture without making a face. And then this morning, I saw Leo with his mom, Nana, at the Farmers' Market and got this one to go along with the previous picture.
Leo and Nana
Again, I had to ask nice to keep Leo from geeking the camera. I was surprised when Nana picked him up (he's almost too big) for the picture. It was a wonderful day out there this morning, and when I went to the market after the walk with the ladies, I kept running into people I know. It makes me realize how much Bellingham has become my home, my family. There was even one woman from the yoga class with her entire family. I would never have recognized her dressed in street clothes, but she recognized me.
In Whatcom Falls Park
The day started out sunny and bright, but before long clouds built up and a strong wind lowered the temperature. Usually at this time of year we are in the low sixties (15-16C) but yesterday it was much warmer (28C) than normal. I am quite ready for a return to normal Pacific Northwest temperatures. Everything is two to three weeks ahead of schedule. Even a few strawberries in my garden are beginning to ripen!
:-)

18 comments:

  1. I avoid the camera if I can. I am glad to see that your chosen family doesn't.
    And remember when I was swimming regularly seeing another swimmer at the shops and saying 'I didn't recognise you with your clothes on'. Which raised a few nearby eyebrows...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leo is such a cutie, so full of life and potential!

    Those tablets are everywhere, aren't they!

    It looks like you have a great life going there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great to see you with your people. You have made a wonderful life in your adopted city in our beautiful PNW.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here it was much colder than normal, barely above freezing! Those local connections make living in a smaller town feel like a community.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always good to see your friends, Gene, Robert and Leo. I think this is the first photo I have seen of Nana! Glad you walk went well! Cold here, the wind is raw:(

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice to 'meet' leo's mom, too! and always good to see gene!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have lived here for 47 years. at the beginning you often ran into people you knew. Now I rarely run into people I know. the population has gone from 20000 to 100000

    ReplyDelete
  8. That photo of you and Gene is priceless! I love the look on your face and the lighting... everything! It's really fabulous! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the photos, but the one of you and Gene captured something truly special.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoyed seeing your friends. I remember Gene with his parrot that stayed up in his beard. Gene is looking good. Leo has really grown. I believe this is the first photo I've seen of his parents. You've done such a good job of making your new life in Bellingham.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, these were lovely! I don't think I've ever seen Leo's mom. They have the same cheeks and smile. We're a month ahead in warmth this year, too. Again. We were last year pretty much, too, as I recall. Enjoy your day, my friend!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice photo of you and Gene. Glad you are back on your Saturday walks once again! And thanks for being my Facebook friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. great photos!! Gene looks so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely photos. Some people in my family always stare at their smart phones when they are guests in my home. Grrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved seeing pics of your coffee shop friends. You and they have chosen well, I could steal Leo.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice to put a face with the names, other than we always recognize sweet Leo :)
    We never seem to have verbal conversations much any longer, always the camera phones and iPad kind. When I cook for my family, the phones are covered in a basket until we run out of things to catch up on...
    A lovely Saturday m 'dear.
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great photos. Are they shot with an (ahem) i-phone?

    ReplyDelete
  18. The photo of you and Gene is a keeper. The lighting is great and the expressions on both your faces tell a wonderful story. I smiled at your comment that you would have never recognized your Yoga friend in street clothes.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.