Monday, September 8, 2014

A Sunday hike

Fred, Peggy and Diane in front of one of the twin lakes
Well, there I was vacillating about whether or not to go skydiving on Sunday, when on Saturday Peggy mentioned, while on our walk, that three of the Ferndale group were going to Winchester on Sunday and there was room for one more person. Since I had never been there before, that answered my question: let's go hiking!
Blueberries within reach of the trail
The hardest part of this hike up Winchester Mountain to reach a fire lookout is the drive there: It's 6.5 miles on a rutted one-lane road, with cars going in the other direction needing to pull over if possible, or back up until you find a good spot. It took us 45 minutes to travel that short distance. And there were so many cars! I remembered why I'm so glad I get to hike during the week, avoiding countless people, dogs, cars and screaming kids. But we started early, so we beat the crowds for the first part of our trek up to the lookout. It's under two miles and up 1,300 feet (meaning it's steep but short), but the views!
Twin Lakes from the top of Winchester Mtn
We didn't hurry up the trail; it was hard not to sample as many blueberries as we could. When we first reached the lookout, all the people who were up there for the night had started down, and the hordes coming up were still below us. If you look closely at that picture, you can see the parking lot between the two lakes. It holds more than 30 cars, and almost every spot was taken by the time we returned.
Cabin and Mt. Baker in the distance,  sign giving elevation of 6,521 feet
We explored the pristine cabin, which is available to anyone who wants to spend the night there (first come) and signed the guest book. Wouldn't it be incredible to see the stars on a clear night? It would be so quiet and peaceful. And the views!
Diane, Peggy and Mt. Baker
When I took this picture, I was inside the cabin looking at the view of my friends and the mountain. Then I set up the self timer and got this picture of the four of us before we started back down. We spent close to an hour on the top, and before we started our descent, more than a dozen people had arrived, plus dogs, and on the way back down we passed dozens more, with rambunctious kids and their canine companions.
Diane, me, Peggy, Fred
We thought we might saunter down the trail to the High Pass junction and then mosey up that way a little ways, but while we were up here at the top, we noticed that it's not exactly flat to get to High Pass, meaning you would need to descend into a valley and then climb up to see the view. Instead, we were happy to try to beat the crowds of cars that would be all trying to leave at the same time.

As it was, even though it was fairly late in the afternoon, there were still plenty of cars filled with more people on their way up the road. It was actually good that we finally got out when we did. We stopped at Graham's and had our obligatory ice cream cones before heading home. I'm glad we didn't try to cram more into the day, as I was still plenty tired and was glad to have earned my wine. What a great way to spend a Sunday!
:-)

22 comments:

  1. the view of the twin lakes is amazing! glad you avoided MOST of the clouds and a good part of the traffic, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow those lakes and the view are awesome! Another great hike...can you imagine the super moon from up there:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've had some super clear days for some of your last hikes. Yes, weekends bring out the yahoos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to spend a few days in a lookout cabin. It sounds beyond peaceful ... well, once the crowds disperse. Your hike looks wonderful! Amazing scenery ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful scenes and so peaceful. You are an amazing lady. Glad you got your glass of wine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an unexpected delight, to walk an unknown trail, for you. The views as always looked stunning and gorging yourselves on wild blueberries as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I love that view of the twin lakes. Your photos were really clear and beautiful. But, as you say, there were just too many people. It is always better to go during the week than on the weekends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quite the accomplishment! Native Easterner that I am, loving my hills, I cannot conceive of the immensity of these places you photograph. Monumental. Massive. I have no frame of reference.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a great hike, and yes, it is better to go on weekdays. I stay away from tourist attractions on weekends for that reason. However, it seems like this next year I have squeezed so much into my weekdays that I may just have to spend time on the weekends doing some of the crowd stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that view!!
    We are not typically Saturday outing people either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a delightful plan B. Think you all ought to pack sleeping bags sometime during the week and have a slumber party up there to enjoy the night.

    ReplyDelete
  12. With a view like looking down at the twin lakes I think I could be motivated to climb up that far for something other than a fabled trout pool in the Bitterroots...:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. With a view like looking down at the twin lakes I think I could be motivated to climb up that far for something other than a fabled trout pool in the Bitterroots...:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful spot. You've shown us other places of great beauty. I think this one beats them all. Wouldn't it be fun to stay in that cabin?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic. The photos capture it all, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous views. I like to think of you enjoying your Sunday hike as I do my Sunday run by the sea. Good for us!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Blueberries on the way up; ice cream on the way home ... perfect! (P.S. And the view ain't bad either!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Every time I come to your blog I see the most beautiful mountain pictures – the kind that people usually only gets while on vacation, but you can go there every week! It is so nice that you share your landscape with us. I have seen many hills lately, here in Tennessee, and they are nice, but they don’t have the majesty of your Mount Baker and surrounding mountains. We have been near Nashville now for a week and will go home next week (I pre-programmed my last post.) My daughter and SIL went out of state so we are taking care of the 3 grandsons (3, 5 and 7) and I am about exhausted! Luckily they took the 1 ½ years old granddaughter with them. I have not had much time to visit blogs. I was hoping to go west this summer to visit our other daughter, Celine, who had moved to California last April, but her company gave her a promotion and she is back in Atlanta …
    I don’t know if I missed it, but what did the doctor say about your eye?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I thought the photos in your post above were fantastic but the one of the twin lakes is even more amazing. I hope your clear weather hangs around for awhile,

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is just so cool! I love seeing those blueberries! What fun! I'd love to do that hike just to get some of those berries. If only the hikes weren't always so uphill. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.