Thursday, September 18, 2014

A drizzly Hannegan Pass

Wet but happy
It never fails to amaze me: nine Senior Trailblazers showed up this morning in a fairly steady drizzle to drive for more than an hour to Hannegan Pass, where we were scheduled to hike today. The optimists among us felt that we might escape the rain as we drove upwards to begin our trek. Today was just about the opposite of last year, when we hiked all the way to the top of the peak in full sunshine. Check it out here. (You newbies can see just what you missed today.)
Changing leaves, dramatic cliffs behind
It wasn't all bad; in fact, much of it was very tolerable. Last year, I remember almost fainting from the incredible heat from the intense sun; today it was quite easy to hike the more-than-four miles to the pass in a light drizzle. But we didn't ever have a view of much of anything. By the time we made it to the pass, everyone was quite content to settle down to a quick lunch repast and head back down. Nobody was interested in trying for the peak, with no view. Again, last year was very different. 
Bob settling in for a nice lunch, protected from the rain
Our conversation today was quite lively, with Rich and Chris happy to get another chance to check out their rain gear for their upcoming springtime adventure on the Santiago de Camino trail. (I knew I would see them today, and they didn't disappoint me.) We headed back down the trail before 1:00pm, and enjoyed the truncated views.
Waterfalls and flowers
There were several pretty waterfalls to see, and this one goes up quite a bit farther, but since I only had my cellphone camera today, I was limited in what I could photograph. This picture turned out rather nice, considering. As we moved towards our starting point, I kept trying to find a picture that would give a good feeling of what it was like today.
Turning maple leaves covered with water
If you were to enlarge this picture, you would notice that all those leaves are covered with moisture from the rain, which never really let up all day long. Knowing that we had two newbies who have never been on this hike before, I kept turning and looking back as we descended to the trailhead, hoping that some of the incredible views would emerge. But it was not to be.
The valley today
This was all we saw on our return journey down the valley back to the trailhead. We ascended and descended around 2,100 feet of elevation, but the view was the same the entire way: fog and mist. Now I am home, with my glass of wine finished, and now my post finished as well, as I can say that it was actually a fine day, having gotten some good exercise and spent it with good friends. And I might add that something in between last year's intense heat and today constant drizzle might be a great thing for next year!
:-)

19 comments:

  1. i know you wanted clearer views, but these are just beautiful to me, so thank you for sharing them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes those pictures in the rain really turn out well...as in this case. Thanks for sharing and glad you are back down safely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of some of my hikes where you looked at a pair of heals in front of me all day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks pretty amazing from my perspective. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's too bad you couldn't hike in better weather, but it was nice to exercise outdoors and get some fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fall is approaching out there too...at least you weren't too warm today. Even foggy and rainy it is a beautiful hike:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am most impressed with the fact that so many showed up and including your "two newbies" - they got a taste that all hikes into the mountain pass are not all sunshine and glamour. I am thinking about my own new rain-suit, recently purchased and tried it out when we had our hurricane in July with torrential downpours - WORKS- DID NOT GET WET. Love walking in the rain - its just darn refreshing. Such raw beauty in your photos DJan, especially the leaves in the forest with the heaviness of the rain. Very different photos, and most stunning. Have a warm, toasty evening. lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Despite the drizzle and truncated views, it looks like a gorgeous place. I recently saw a list somewhere of the 50 best cities in the U.S. to live in. Bellevue came in second!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like they say its the trip not the destination. And you obviously had a good trip in spite of....:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good company and exercise seem a fair trade for the views.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The vistas may have suffered but the changing leaves with a river far below was really special as was the water fall.
    With a choice between heat or a cool drizzle, I'll take a drizzle any day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Even with the rain and mist I think your views were quite beautiful. It has been so dry over this way that rain sounds really good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rain yesterday, hot tomorrow, or at least on Sunday. But then rain again. Summer will be leaving us soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You may have wished for clearer skies...but you know I love foggy days, so it was very special scenery to me. LOVE the changing colors already

    Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great group to be part of. Light mist is nicer to hike in than full sun. For sure. Lovely pics.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Intrepid. That suits you guys. Intrepid.
    I LOVE the pictures of the waterfall with flowers and the orange and red leaves that have turned. They're both wonderful. I'd say your cell phone takes great pics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't been reading blogs for quite some time, so I was pleased to see that you are still hiking up a storm (or is that into all storms?) You are relentless, and such an inspiration, DJan!

    I've caught up reading a couple blogs, and now must get back to business! So looking forward to seeing you and the rest in October! Hugs until then . . .

    ReplyDelete
  18. Incredible shots, DJan! I love pops of color against fog & mist. The scene you captured of the pines in the valley is stunning!
    I spent all day yesterday exploring a couple of state parks in MN & WI.. around some rugged rivers and waterfalls. A perfectly exhausting & exhilarating day. (A post to come soon!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ummm... as beautiful as the scenery is with the rain, I'm really partial to hiking in sunnier and cool days.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.