Saturday, September 27, 2014

A fabulous series and a fine walk

The view from the ferry terminal this morning
Today is supposed to be sunny, eventually, but this is how it looked as we ladies started out our five-mile walk from the ferry terminal this morning. I love the changing color of the trees and thought about cropping out the cars and trucks, but I didn't after fiddling with it a bit. It's the trees I wanted to show you, along with the fog. There is still fog outside, even though it's four hours later. It will be gone eventually, but who knows how long before it lifts? Nevertheless, we had a really nice dry walk at a brisk pace.

I am more than halfway through the Ken Burns series on The Roosevelts. I have already learned so much! I didn't know that FDR (Franklin Roosevelt) was 39 when he contracted polio, how it affected his life and how he dealt with it. Last night I watched the fourth in the series of seven, and it was so informative that I watched it again, with Smart Guy joining me. I have three more episodes to go, and I'm looking forward to them very much. I know that at least one of them will teach me a great deal about the life of Eleanor Roosevelt, who redefined what it meant to be the First Lady. I was also reminded that it was only a little more than a century ago (1920) that the 19th Amendment to the Constitution finally gave women the right to vote. That simply boggles my mind.

Anyway, if you get a chance to see that series, don't miss it. Ken Burns amazes me at the way he takes archival footage and brings it to life. And I'm also hoping that the fog will lift tomorrow early enough to let me get my knees in the breeze at Skydive Snohomish. My last season of skydiving is fast coming to a close.
:-)

21 comments:

  1. well, if you ever sent some of that moisture down here, you'd get some clearer skies and sunshine!! :P

    glad you had a dry walk, today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. D'Jan...when we lived in Georgia, we traveled several times to Warm Springs where FDR had his treatment facilities. We also visited the Little White House there. Very fascinating man with a long history in his presidency.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How I envy you your rain.
    And I hope the weather is perfect for a jump (or several) tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will look for it!!! One of Bud's idols. I'm surprised he hasn't seen it on Amazon or somewhere. Or is it out on DVD yet?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am really enjoying this series also. I never miss anything Ken Burns. Like you said, he makes history live. I was six when FDR died and I didn't really understand but remember how sad everyone was.
    I was always a fan of Eleanor. Such a strong woman.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Life is good...a good walk, great movie and to top it off sky diving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. it actually got pretty hot here...i got sun burnt on my face actually...it felt weird after the cooler days we have had...

    i wil be checking out the series...i think i can get it on demand...i just need to get through the next week of grad school

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty photo, DJan.
    Great that you and Smart Guy are enjoying the TV series together.
    Hope you get to skydive together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry -- skydive TOMORROW.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have had some really beautiful weather out this way DJan - like summer all over again. I hope that you have wonderful weather tomorrow for your last seasonal jump. Happy Skies, or whatever the lingo is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read "The Bully Pulpit" so know a little bit about TR; but don't know too much about FDR (although I did once go to his house on the Hudson). I do know that FDR pushed to build the Grand Coulee and the Bonneville dams. Anyway ... where do you watch it if you missed the broadcast? Couldn't find it on Netflix, and not on the Ken Burns site either.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yesterday it was almost 90 and I had the AC on and today it is 62-damp-chilly and I actually had to close it up because it was too cold--LOL! I hope you got to go jumping.
    I just started watching the series and it is fascinating! I only finished the first part so far. So much I never knew. I have loved anything Ken Burns has done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. We too have been watching The Roosevelts in bits and pieces. I can only watch about an hour at a time so it's taking us awhile. I think we have about 4 more hours to go.

    I've studied the Roosevelts quite a bit so I've not been surprised by the information but I have enjoyed the way it's being presented. One thing I didn't know and was surprised about was how handsome Teddy Roosevelt was when he was very young.

    Also, this series doesn't seem to have much about FDR's mother in it. Sara Roosevelt was quite the overly protective mama.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll have to find the series online since I'm a history buff. Still sunny and gorgeous here with days in the mid 70s and cool evenings. My 10 K run yesterday was glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We watched the first show on Vimeo this weekend. My husband feigned interest as he thought he knew "so much about the Roosevelts already." Well, that first show changed his mind right quick! Nobody does it better than Burns.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely photo. I am one of the few who actually enjoys the rain. Warm greetings from Montreal, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I saw one of the episodes and it was very interesting. I'd like to see them all as well. Good luck with the weather tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear DJan, I, too, watched the Ken Burns' series on the Roosevelts. I got to watch seven days in a row. Ken Burns is a true artist and film maker. I was so eager to learn more about Eleanor Roosevelt. Next to my mom, she is the woman I most admire. I'm glad that you, too, are enjoying the series. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've heard great things about the series from other people, too. Onto my list it goes. Look like autumn has come to your neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hope you had a great skydive, DJan.

    I would love some cooler weather if you could send some over.

    Uh oh... Is that thunder I hear?

    I agree about The Roosevelts. There was so much I didn't know or forgot. What an incredible family. I loved the series and watched it every night without fail.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is a beautiful photo!

    Growing up in Georgia I visited Warm Springs many times. The history associated with the Little White House is fascinating.

    We have cut the cable/satellite cord and stream everything we watch. I found this series on PBS on my Roku for free and will be watching it soon.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.