Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Missing steps, front porch flowers

Renovation in progress

We were given a warning a week or so ago that there would be a disruption of our access to some of the apartments in our complex. The second-story apartments, of which we have one, cannot be accessed from the front where we park our cars. Instead, we need to come and go via the back door, which works just fine in most respects. We are missing the sixteen steps going from the dirt section in the middle of the picture, along with access to the two corridors on both levels going from front to back.

I'm just glad we are down at the end, with three apartments between us and the work going on. At first there was a lot of noise, but now it's intermittent as the renovation seems to be going slowly. At first I felt inconvenienced, but I've gotten used to coming and going through the back door. It gives me a few extra steps every day, anyway. And I got to admire my downstairs neighbor's lovely iris as I walked by. They are gone already, but everywhere around here is lush with June blooms.

Flowers are doing well

I am pleased that my front porch flowers are doing so well, although I notice that the pansies are past their peak; I think I'll replace them with some more petunias, since they just keep growing and expanding their coverage. The left-hand basket is filled with them. And I've got a fern that seems to have weathered the heat we had this weekend. At the present time, we are back to normal Pacific Northwest temperatures, back into the mid-sixties (18°C) instead of 20 degrees warmer, which is what we had during our brief heat wave. I walked outside today and truly enjoyed the cool breeze that greeted me.

Once I reached my quota of steps and exercise for the day, I'm feeling a little lazy and will settle into reading a good book. I've downloaded a few onto my Kindle and think I'll kick my feet up and relax for the rest of the day. Zzzzz.....

12 comments:

  1. 18C is fine. 38C is NOT.
    You, having a lazy day? Queue hysterical laughter. And of course you had to get your steps in first. I hope your books are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that isn't your front porch in the photo. All of your pretty flowers would be needing light. I worked outside for two hours this morning - perfect weather for that. I just got a haircut and now I'm getting to your blogs, Today is a relief.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such lovely flowers! Summer is my favorite for exactly that reason!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Changes and changes. I'm sure this will improve your building.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For apartment living, you & SG have a very scenic locale. I like my partment, it's on a tree-lined street, but I do envy you your milder temps & front porch. I'd love a private space outside. Anyway, thanks for sharing your outdoor space DJan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Petunias bloom profusely. Enjoy! Gigi hawaii

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rest and relaxation is always good!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pansies don't like heat! Your flowers look good! Petunias are a perfect plant they just bloom and bloom:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad it has cooled off a bit for you. Hate construction and hope they are finished soon. Hey, with those extra steps, you can afford to enjoy a relaxing day with some good books. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you did get to kick your feet up and relax with a good book... my favorite activity! And please post a pic of the construction when it's all finished.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am new to petunias and they are profuse! I think they may become a regular in my planters. I'm so glad the renovations aren't right in front of your apartment. Your flowers look so pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are indeed lovely, DJan. You really do live in a great complex and close to the garden too.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.