Thursday, June 9, 2022

Hertz Trail in the rain

So lush

Another wet day. In fact, we will have to navigate through about two more inches of rain before this latest deluge is over. The next three days are forecast to be wet, wet, and, well, wet. Melanie and I decided to take in the Hertz Trail today, which has lots of trees to lessen the amount of rain that would make its way to our rain gear. We were ready!

Green, green, green

I didn't get many good pictures today, because it wasn't much fun to stand around and take shots in the rain. We did have a brief respite in the middle of our six-mile hike, where the rain lessened to some stray droplets. Then it started again.

Serene lake shot

You can see from this picture of the lake that we didn't have much wind, just a bit of a breeze that stirred up the water, but no whitecaps. We saw only a few people on the trail with us; I guess most sensible people stayed inside, waiting for better weather. We've learned that we need to get out, no matter what the forecast says, because they have been known to be wrong. And just being outdoors in the beauty raised my spirits, even if they were a bit on the damp side.

Foxglove against a rock face

Melanie also spotted the first foxglove of the season! The color is only visible on the lower petals, but it will be pink and white when it is in full bloom. We saw such incredible lushness on the trail today, and I look forward to visiting once again when it's a little bit drier. Since the trail is well traveled and well maintained, it was in great shape with only a few minor puddles to navigate.

And now I can  enjoy the rest of the day inside, safe and warm, with more than 16,000 steps recorded on my Apple Watch for the day's exercise. Not too bad for a day's activity, eh? I do hope your day will be a good one and that you will find some way to stretch your boundaries, no matter which approach you decide in order to do so. 

:-)

15 comments:

  1. Thank you. How I love walking with you. Enjoy the rest of your day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's something about the PNW and rain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire you going out in all that rain. The wet weather is my least favourite conditions for walking. On the upside the sceneryis unbelievably green.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's hard to believe that you hiked in the rain. You usually get lucky with the rain and it misses you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are really great at pushing yourself! I am such a non exerciser. I stand on my Zaaz machine and get 5,000 steps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is always good for you to get out--even in the rain. Can tell it fills your soul. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It’s very wet here too. Sue is wondering if our potted plants will drown.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always admire how you don't let a little weather stop you. All that rain really makes everything so green and lush. Small price to pay.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rain wouldn't bother me as much as the heat. Can't walk in triple digits and that's what we're having this weekend (or so they say). Only got to 98 F yesterday. But thanks for letting me walk with you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything is so lush and green. Great hike! Gigi Hawaii

    ReplyDelete
  11. Foxglove! They are lovely in full bloom perhaps you will hike there again soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am just catching up. I realized I was so busy Friday that I never got to all of my blog reading.
    All of the rain really has made for lushness this spring. I am amazed just looking at the plants in my yard. It's a wonderful time to be outdoors and in the woods, as long as you can stay dry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 16,000 steps ... very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  14. No shortage of rain in your part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I published my 1,000th post this week! I don't know if you are still visiting, but thank you for participating in my journey. If I don't hear from you again, you already went above and beyond with your comments for over fifteen years. Good bye DJan. Happy trails always.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.