Monday, November 1, 2021

Coffee shop updates

Cool Halloween latte

Yesterday (Halloween) at the coffee shop, my new barista surprised me with this wonderful spooky skeleton in my latte. As I sipped it, the creature began to look like "The Scream" portrait by Edvard Munch. It was just the best way to begin a very fun day.

Then I called my friend Lily to see if she would like to walk around Lake Padden with me on chilly but sunny day. She accepted, and after we went once around, we drove over to Whole Foods, where before the pandemic we would sit down to a buffet breakfast. Although the foods are limited in comparison to last year, we were actually able to sit down and eat inside at our favorite pre-pandemic spot. So things are definitely getting back to normal, even if it's happening s-l-o-w-l-y.

Four days post-op

And then, this morning we at Avellino's were treated to a quick visit by John, only four days after his massive right-shoulder rebuild, accompanied by his daughter Peggy. She's acting as his caregiver during these first weeks until he can return to his own home. With a little help from his family and friends, he should be comfortable and able to get around indoors for the coming period. He says the shoulder hurts way more than his left shoulder did after the surgery last year, but the doctor said it was in worse shape and required more work. He cannot do much right now except sleep and eat prepared meals, but that should change by the time he gets the stitches out in a couple more weeks. In any event, it was so nice to see him getting up and around, even if it was because he needed to see his insurance agent and sign some papers.

I did wonder just how he's going to manage signing since he's right-handed. But that isn't anything I need to worry about. He had to drag his right hand up to the table with his left, in order to tap numbers into his phone, and there is no possibility of him taking off his jacket just yet. The things you don't realize you cannot do when your arm is completely out of commission. But it will get better, day by day.

:-)

23 comments:

  1. Love the barista's cleverness.
    And thanks for the update about John. I hope he is feeling better by the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really good to see John out and about. Your barista is talented.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh... That brings back memories of when I broke my left shoulder. Poor John... I hope he heals quickly.
    Your barista is very talented. It did look like the Scream when you sipped on it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad to read you got to visit with your buddy John. And go walking today!!!

    Fun, fun, latte!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you got out and had some fun on Halloween. And John did too! It was a beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, we are ever-so-slowly getting back to a semblance of normality as well. We're still wearing indoor masks most of the time, though, even if a lot of people aren't.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some things handicap us more than we would think like a broken wrist. His big smile says he's on the right track.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "But it will get better, day by day"... that's the trick... taking it one day at a time (for John and for all of us). So glad you got to visit with him... and that latte looks really good (with or without the art). I miss my coffee. And we are still wearing masks inside here (although a lot of folks aren't).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice design in your cup. And John seems to be doing very well all things considered.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spooky coffee. Always amazed at how good those baristas are. What a great smile on John's face. So sorry he is having so much pain but I'm sure visiting with you helped a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've been out-and-about, looking at lots of fall leaves. I see you spotted a painted rock. I love finding those too. I didn't have any scares on Halloween. The latte is a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good design in your coffee! Nice to see John's smile, how nice of his daughter to care for him while he recovers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am glad that John is doing so well. Blessings! And good to know that you and Lily had a good time walking and eating together. Blessings there too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you got to see him briefly and that he has family to help him out.
    Coffee was cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear DJan, so glad that you were able to visit with your dear friend John. The smile on his face testifies to how much he must have enjoyed getting out and about with his daughter--to sign papers, Yes!, but also to see the glad welcome from you and others. And yes, we seldom (I seldom have) appreciated what various parts of our body can do until they can't do those things anymore or for a while. What a creation our bodies are! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very good to read about John (and he takes a good picture too). DJan, it's remarkable how you get out so much. You motivate me to get up and out a little more. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  17. John looks wonderful considering the surgery he was most recently through. It must have been great to see him. Speedy recovery, John.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Normal seems so far away and then once we have it again we will take it for granted. Ah well, you enjoy the big and little things no matter if it is normal or not.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the scary coffee! I've tried to make a heart in my mocha sometimes and have failed. Perhaps with more practice? I miss breakfasts out. It's my favorite meal because it's very relaxing. And I love eggs and sipping coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Tell John that time heals. Great that he is out and about so soon after surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love coffee art. Such creative baristas. Terry has been complaining about his shoulder & will talk to his doctor at the next checkup. I told him, though, that if he has to have a shoulder replacement, then he'll need to find some young person to care for him.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.