Monday, November 29, 2021

A bit of this and that

Dripping branches and SUN

Walking home from where John left me off after our coffee shop adventure, I saw that the sun had not only risen, but that the skies were beginning to clear after two more days of record-setting rain. We have had more than twelve inches of rain this month, with more to come tomorrow, the last day of the month. Many roads are once again flooded, with another atmospheric river poised to remind us that the rain is not done with us yet. But today we have a bit of a respite.

As I made my way through Cornwall Park, skipping the Rose Garden, since now there are only rose hips left to admire, I saw that the sunshine caused a light ground fog to emerge over the fields. And now the sky is filled with plenty of clouds, with only a short peek of the sun available now and then. But, according to the forecast, we should be free of any more rain for a few more hours, at least. Yesterday I tried to find a time in the early afternoon to get in a short walk, but the rain kept me to a brief half-hour, and then I was beginning to get grumpy as the rain just kept on coming down.

Fifteen or so years later

My old boss Mickey sent me the picture on the left a couple of days ago, and I decided to compare it to the one taken at Thanksgiving (shared in my last post) just to mark the differences. Nobody lives another 6,000 days without some sign of it, but I was interested in noticing that although my jawline is a little softer, and the creases in my eyelids a bit heavier, there is much just the same. Some people don't change their haircuts very often, and I seem to be one of them. It also helps that the latest picture is a soft focus, making my wrinkles a little less obvious.

What doesn't show in the new me is the amount of change in my eyesight. Before I got cataract surgery, I had to wear glasses all the time. That changed, once I got the new lenses inserted. Now I only need to wear them for distance. I had always been nearsighted and saw no reason to change that. I am so very grateful for my recent Paperwhite (Kindle) purchase, which lets me read for much longer periods before my eyes give out. My old eyes just don't work as well as they once did, and the AMD (age-related macular degeneration) continues to forge ahead. I can still drive during the daylight hours, but that won't be the case once I lose my central focus. I am simply grateful for all I can do these days.

And now I'm going to sweep my front porch, which has lots of leaves and other detritus making it look rather cluttered. Then I will sit back and enjoy the glimpses of sun while we still have some to see.

:-)

18 comments:

  1. I know you like to hike. But ... can you swim?!? I also know the old cliche is: "You haven't aged a day." But the fact is: You haven't aged a day! Seriously, I couldn't tell the difference in the photos until you told us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You haven't aged one day D J!? THAT'S terrific. Your lifestyle and outlook on life is working wonders.

    Happy Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sun has just broken through and is shining in my window, through the trees, as I type this. House work is done. laundry is laundering, Christmas shopping is figured out, and after lunch I'll get back to more decorating. Just moving around in the house is doing it for me right now, as manage my back and hip issues.
    Your photo comparison is interesting. Boy, are you aging well! I just hope your eyes stay clear enough for you to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You age beautifully.
    And hooray for the glimpses of sun. Literal and metaphoric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are doing dandy! Lovely photos in either timeframe. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  6. That amount of rain must dampen one's spirits, and I don't necessarily intend that as a pun.

    I agree: the softer the focus the better at our age, especially for women. I don't mean that women need it more but that a rough look can sometimes work with men.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an interesting comparison those photos make. You have hardly changed. Enjoy the last rays of the sun with a good glass of wine and give yourself a clap on the back for maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok Benjamina Button, you are making the rest of us look bad:) Looking good lady and I agree with the others, not a day older and maybe a day or two younger. Proof exercise is good for us. Keep doing what ever you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You haven't aged a day in my mind. You look just the same! Ever young.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Getting old is funny. When I drop off my friend, I drive through Palolo Valley - where I grew up. She lives just a few doors down from where I used to live in my youth. Sometimes I see elderly people outside and they look a little familiar and probably are familiar since people in Hawaii hardly move or change residences. And when I observe that they look rather old, I have to chuckle because I am also that old now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have different expressions on these two photos. A younger you shows much more energy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have hardly aged at all!
    I hope your eyes stay the same, too, now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both photos are wonderful. There’s wisdom in that face!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have not aged a bit! Looking good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great photo's DJan... both! You must be doing something right. Your exercise, walking, and meditation are certainly working for you. I'm finding that some of the mindfulness things in the Dalai Lama's Cat series have struck home with me. Thanks again for recommending it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You look amazing after 15 years! I have aged considerably after 15 years. I wish I were as agile as you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. DJan, you are certainly aging gracefully and beautifully if at all. Seriously.... You are so beautiful now and before.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.