Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Leaving on a jet plane

Taken from my front porch this weekend with my iPhone 6
This time tomorrow I'll be just about ready to arrive in Tampa, Florida, for a week-long vacation with my sister and her family. I'll meet my little grand-niece Alicia for the first time, and get reacquainted with Lexie, since it's been almost two years since I saw her last. She's now in kindergarten and learning to read, I hear. And Peter and Allison, Norma Jean's son and daughter.

I took that photo on Sunday afternoon as I was getting ready to meet Judy at the movie theater. We had the time change the previous night, and so although the movie was starting at 3:00pm, it was already getting late in the afternoon for me. By the time we left the theater, it was pitch dark, and it was only a little after 5:00pm!

What movie did we see? We saw Steve Jobs, a rather controversial movie about the co-founder of Apple, who died in 2011. I am an Apple fan, typing this post on my second MacBook Air (I got a new version after my first one turned three, with a hard drive twice the size of my first). And I own an iPhone 6, which has turned into my main camera, since it takes such great pictures. If you click on the link above, you'll go to a Hollywood Reporter article about some of the controversy. When I returned home from the theater, I immediately got on the internet to see how much of the movie is true to life.

First of all, the movie is mostly about Jobs' relationship to his first daughter, Lisa, who was born out of wedlock. He initially denied paternity. The movie makes it seem like he's a really unpleasant person in many ways that were highlighted with little to no redeeming qualities. He had a sister, Mona Simpson, who wrote a very moving eulogy about her brother who sounds nothing like the person portrayed in the movie. I read more than one piece that called the movie a "character assassination." His wife (not even mentioned in the movie) tried everything she could to keep it from being made, because she feared something like this would happen.

If you go, remember that. He was a great man who died before his time, in my opinion. And I'll get the biography of Jobs that was written by Walter Isaacson. It looks really tempting, and I might even spring for the $13 Kindle version and bury myself in it while I'm traveling tomorrow.
Leaves, taken with my iPhone 6 this morning
Until we meet again on Thursday, I'll be traveling from one end of the country to the other, but I'll be with my sister tomorrow! I am excited, not for the travel, but for the end result.
:-)

14 comments:

  1. Travel safely - and have a wonderful family time.
    Character assassination unfortunately sells books and movies. Which doesn't say anything good about us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Easy travels and enjoy your visit with family. And the warm weather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Safe travels...enjoy the time with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. do enjoy your trip and soak up that family time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty leaves on the ground! Have a safe flight and a good time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm excited for you and your trip. Have a wonderful time.

    I read the biography on Jobs after it came out. He is a complex character. He had his flaws, as we all do. He also was brilliant. I think that one of his worst mistakes was thinking he was able to conquer cancer on his own. I sometimes wonder if he would still be with us if he had sought medical help instead of going the path he did when he became ill.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoy....have a fabulous trip, and a safe journey!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy your family time in Florida, where it will no doubt be warmer than Washington, but not as beautiful. Even though I'm not an "apple" person (I have a PC and a Samsung phone) you've got me interested in Steve Jobs. Have to see the movie and get the book. I did see a video clip of his famous commencement speech at Stanford and found it very moving. He was obviously a brilliant guy ... but maybe not someone you wanted to work for?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoyed the post. I am a big Jobs fan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No one is all good or all bad. I think we all pretty much know by now that he could be a real jerk. But how many people in his position could be classified as jerks. Vast fortune and idolatry can go to anyone's head, I'm sure. I wondered why they made yet another movie about his life. Sounds like this one is an extra negative one.

    Have a safe trip. Enjoy! Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. David owns an iPad and wants to see the Jobs movie. I wonder what he will say about it.

    Enjoy your trip to Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy travels and it's hot down here!! And thank you for the review of the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aha! So you must have liked John Denver too. That was one of my favorite songs.
    I just got an iPhone 6s while we were in Illinois. My super techie son-in-law helped us order it and get the cover for it. He then helped install a bunch of new apps and just get organized again. It's so much better than our 4s. The camera is a lot better!
    I'm still trying to get the hang of the Macbook Air. Arrrgh... It's miserable for a long time PC person. We'll have to sign up for the Apple class when we have time.
    How funny that you are off on your travels while we just returned on Tuesday from the Midwest and East coast. Have a terrific time!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.