Sunday, July 3, 2011

Weather or not

Yesterday we had one of the most beautiful sunny blue sky days I've seen so far this year. And it meant that I would head to Snohomish to join my friends so we could play together in the sky. Here you see my playmates: Kevin and me standing, with Cindy, Dave and Linny in front. These are some of the friends I fly around with in the air. Yesterday I only made two jumps, but of course Ninja Linny made four, staying until sunset while Smart Guy and I headed north to Bellingham. The traffic was not fun. We would have gone back again today, but we awoke to wind, rain, and low clouds. So I took pictures instead.
Some of the visitors to our front yard that don't bother me at all, the deer, drive the flower people who live on ground level a bit crazy, since they LOVE to eat the tender little shoots as they come up. This one is watching the people traffic to make sure nobody is interested in chasing away the local wildlife. Nobody was, so he (she?) spent quite a bit of time on the lawn figuring out what to eat next.
Poppies must not be on their list of favorite things, because these guys hadn't been touched, and I had been meaning to take a picture when they were in their first bloom, they were so beautiful. Now they are a little past their prime, but I walked out just now to capture this picture to share with you. Now all I needed was a bit of blue, and they would be perfect for the holiday weekend.
The penstemon planted in my little planter on the front porch comes up every year whether I take care of them or not. I originally planted them for this reason: they are irresistible to hummingbirds. This is my third season in my planter, and I love to watch these little hummers come to taste them. Although I have an almost identical picture from last year, I have no idea if it is the same little guy or not, and these are blooms from this year's plants. Don't you just love those pretty little wings? And if you enlarge this picture, you can admire those teeny tiny little legs tucked up to reduce drag.

And with that, I'm off to the Y to swim laps, and then to the movies with Judy. We're going to see Midnight in Paris, which is, I'm told, a delightful movie. I'll let you know. I truly hope you are enjoying your weekend, and Happy Independence Day to one and all!
:-)

23 comments:

  1. So glad you are enjoying these past days. Two jumps is a bit achievement and to even want to go back the next day. My, you deserve my admiration.
    The deer is gorgeous and aren't you lucky to have one so nearby.
    The picture of the humming bird is stunning, both for the bird and the flower. I LOVE the way it curls its legs up. I didn't know they did that. How wonderful and thank you for the Sunday peek into your very interesting life, dear D-Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the hummingbird!
    Sounds like perfect weather. Happy 4th to you, DJan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds a good couple of days. let us know about the movie. I love your reviews. The flower pics are great, as is that little hummer. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hummingbird, poppies and deer. Wonderful. Swimming too.
    and glad you got your jumps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Just stay home and take pictures" so casually, yet the pictures are so good they belong on a greeting card.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You tied a wide variety of things together in this post. The grin at the jump says it all. I'm sure you'll look back at a picture such as this and it will be "one of those defining moments."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy 4th DJan. Love the photo of the hummingbird and poppies. I've not seen this variety here...very pretty. Hope you have a beautiful sunny day tomorrow. Looking forward to hearing about the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful, colourful photos, Jan. I love the wee hummer. They're such a treat, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you had good weather on Saturday so you could get in some jumps. We have had lots of wind over this way but no rain recently.

    I love the hummer and the deer. I don't understand why people get so upset when deer eat their flowers. If I could get deer in my yard I would plant a flower salad bar just for them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I ever made one jump people would know I had been taken by the pod people. You are so brave!

    Love the deer and the hummingbird! Great shots of both! Poppies are off the menu, eh? I wonder if the flower people know that? :):)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked all of your photos and the hummer is especially nice. I think I have one or two plants that look like your plant.

    Have you ever seen or heard about Sasquatch in your walks? I watched a whole series about them on television yesterday. I didn't know it but they have been seen even here in Ohio.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I looked at your list of cities that bloggers are visiting your blog from, and I was impressed. Wordpress doesn't offer such a list; wish it did.

    Nice photos, DJan! I have never seen a hummingbird in real life.

    David loved Midnight in Paris. Who knows, maybe we'll find ourselves there next summer!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad y'all had a beautiful day after the months of rain. Since I've added bird feeders to my world I've encountered several animals. The birds, of course, some squirrels-I've now graduated from one to three-and last weekend a deer! I looked out the window and there was a lovely doe right below the feeder, a mere foot from the playground. I saw the same (I assume) doe later that evening; I watched her knock the feeder with her nose then settle in to eat the feed she'd knocked out. Impressed though I might have been, I had Chase raise the feeder the next day. I've not seen any more deer but my seed is still disappearing at an incredible rate so...
    This morning, oddly enough, there were 3 cats lounging on the deck steps. Fortunately Cody was still piled up in bed because they were laying right outside 'his' window and I can assure you he'd have had a fit. It's just a different world outside those windows now that we've got feeders:)
    Happy holiday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the hummer! We have enjoyed some warm sunny days at last too. May they remain! Happy 4th

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your photo of the Hummer is beautiful! Well you had a good weekend..jumping out of perfectly good airplanes! I know you live to jump..or is it the other way around! I always wish you safe and gentle landings:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh forgot Happy Independence Day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. sat the other day and watched a wee little hummer...so fun and spastic...have deer that live in my back yard...see them every night...have a lovely day djan!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great photo of the hummingbird. I'm devoted to watching the little guys. I maintain four feeders and one is in front of the window where I can watch them and my computer screen at the same time.

    Skydiving sounds like enough excitement for any holiday. It must be a great hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I never knew that the hummingbirds pull up their legs to cut down on the drag. I guess it took a skydiver to point that out to me. The photo is great. None of my hummingbirds have shown up yet, but soon they will be visiting my hyssop when it is fully blooming.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You caught him again. I wish I had some of the yummy flowers the Hummers enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You lead such a pleasing active life with your friends. I would love to sky dive. Maybe I will try it before I'm too rickety.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hiking and swimming laps and jumping out of planes! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.