Thursday, July 28, 2011

Keep Cool once again

Right now, because of the continuing high snow levels, we are relegated to the same hikes over and over in our little Mt. Baker wilderness area. This is my second trip up to the Yellow Aster Butte area, because the first time (on July 5) we were only able to gain the meadow because of the snow. Today, we got just a little bit further, but still nowhere near the summit of Yellow Aster Butte. Here's why:
Yellow Aster Butte, July 5 and July 28, 2011
As you can see, the snow has melted a good deal off the summit of the Butte in less than a month, but the trail is still pretty impassable to that summit. We will make yet another attempt later on, but today, twelve Senior Trailblazers gave it a try. Linda and Ward, some of my favorite Trailblazers, were back with us after taking off for parts unknown, so they were happy to make an attempt and not reach the summit. Here is Linda surrounding by all the greenery at the lower elevations:
As we climbed higher and higher, we got great views of Mt. Shuksan, and then we stopped for a nice lunch break a little after noon. We had to find a place in the sunshine that gave us a view, but the deep snow meant that a nice breeze blowing across the snow gave us our very own air conditioning.
Fortunately, most of us have an inflatable little pillow that allows us to be nice and dry while sitting on top of the snow. We all had a very nice lunch and I was able to take this wonderful shot of Mt. Shuksan from our vantage point. After lunch, we headed back down the trail and made it back to our cars before 3:00pm, with a fairly long drive back to the Senior Center. On the way, I saw this very interesting fungus that demanded that I take its picture.
We are so fortunate to have built-in air conditioning (it still is a rare day this summer to see 80 degrees F on our thermometers in Bellingham), and in the High Country, we were still in the sunny sixties today. I hope that my friends in the hotter part of the United States will be able to cool off a little while joining us on the Keep Cool trail today. We walked less than six miles and gained and lost around 1,700 feet elevation. It was truly a great day, sunny and warm. Our first one this month!
:-)

15 comments:

  1. I can’t believe how much vitality you have to go hiking like this in all seasons under all types of weather – my knees hurt just to think about all the walking. (I promised my husband I’ll call a knee doctor soon and make an appointment – now the pain is so bad it wakes me up at night when I turn over.) What glorious landscape your show us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I well remember walking through snow like this. Yes it is cooling and refreshing. Another problem when there's snow it the trail condition as water runs down the trail from the melting snow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter in Illinois would be so jealous of your weather right now. I'm glad you're able to really take advantage of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Admire your energy. Love the scenery. It was -5C here this morning, but no snow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see spots of sunshine in your photos DJan, it's about time you got a hike without rain. With all the snow and greenery everything does look very cool and refreshing.

    We got all the way up to 87 today. I found a photo from this same time last year showing our outside thermometer, it read 103.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh we hit the pool to stay cool...no where near as cool as snow conditioning...ha...neat fungus...looks like a caterpilar....

    ReplyDelete
  7. hmmm. I don't think I would like your climate. Too cold! When the a/c temperature inside the house sinks to 75, that's when I don a sweater or jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My first thought on seeing Linda surrounded by all the greenery was...she looks refreshed and cool! Wished my woods had a bit of snow cooled air!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What great photos, DJan! I love the fungus one, as I would have had to take a picture, too. I never thought to bring a little inflatable pillow, what a great idea for wet hikes.
    It is such a pleasure to read about your wonderful hikes. Your posts are truly an inspiration to me, and remind me often of how much I want to get back into the woods and hit the trails again.
    Someday I'll come up to Bellingham to visit my daughter and try one of the hikes you've shared with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahem, excuse me and all that, but why would you want to climb a snowy mountain in summer?
    Because it's there? Because you are all mad ramblers?

    I am only half joking, like Vagabonde said, the mere thought of climbing steep hills makes my knees hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the fungus you showed us. It looks like one of those water features you see in the Garden Centres. I like the idea of your own air conditioning. Did you have soup for lunch?

    ReplyDelete
  12. You may be heading back to the Senior Center. But you definitely don't act very senior! (young maybe) P.S. I gave you an award.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sounds so lovely, and I'm glad you finally got a nice, sunny hike. It was somewhere around 100 here yesterday and over 50% humidity-fairly miserable to be running errands and hauling the kids in and out of their car seats (I don't know what I was thinking).
    The fungus is pretty cool; nature is the ultimate artist!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love that crazy fungus!
    I'd never be able to make the hikes you guys do, so I love to see the beautiful places you all go.
    I think anything over the 70s is too hot--LOL! So the snow looks great to me! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Look at that snow and it is August..there cannot be much chance that it will melt this year. Wonderful views just the same! Great looking fungi:)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.