Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Ten years ago

My birthday dinner 2009
Looking for something to write about today, I found this picture, taken by our server, when we went to Anthony's Restaurant to celebrate my birthday. Back in those days, a decade ago, we went out to eat much more often than we do today. The older I get, the less I want to have meals that deviate from my usual fare. We will have a Thanksgiving meal that we've had every year since we moved here, and we do occasionally go off to our favorite Thai restaurant when we have out-of-town guests.

But that's pretty much it these days. My friend Lily has introduced me to her favorite place, and we've gone there a couple of times, but pizza and chicken wings (with beer, of course) are not something I can indulge in very often. In fact, it was just a couple of weeks ago that I had my first wing with her. It was absolutely delicious, but for someone who doesn't eat much meat, it seemed rather exotic, highly spiced and salty. But nevertheless, finger-lickin' good. I can see why people can get hooked on that sort of food.

Now the beer, I could have that every day, but I don't. Instead, I stick to red wine, but lately thinking about the fizz and delight of an IPA comes into my consciousness more often than I wish it did. Just writing about it makes me want some, so I'd better get back to my novel and distract myself.
:-)

13 comments:

  1. I absolutely ADORE this picture of you and Smart-Guy! I can't recall if I've ever seen a picture of him. I love the look the two of you are exchanging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems to me that you could exchange beer for wine. I am not a red wine drinker - too acidic. I like sweet, light, white wine, or wheat or dark beer. But I seldom have either one.
    Great pic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are eating out more and more. The Micro Manager has run out of gas when it comes to cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous picture of you both, and having so much fun !
    We rarely go out to eat, but when we do I like the Cracker Barrel restaurant, the menu is homestyle food, and always the same standard, never disappointed.
    I miss an authentic English fish and chips 😀
    Hugs,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love beer! Icy cold. Tho, I'm not much on wings. I LOVE that photo D J!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look the same, Jan, ten years later. Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is such an adorable picture of the two of you and your love is so obvious. Happy Birthday my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday! Beautiful photo of you and SG. Many more birthdays to come.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the picture of you two!!
    Happy birthday!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great old photo! I can tell you are a happy couple! We don't consume much alcohol. Our favorite Mexican Place closes for the winter...I have a margarita there! I do like tequila:) I have some very small bottles of champagne in the fridge...it might have aged in there...I like the bubbles:) I don't really care for chicken although we do have it once a week...we are plain...I roast it with bbq sauce on the side. Give me a good steak anyday!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Would that be San Diego harbor in the background? I love Anthony's seafood restaurant in San Diego. Yum! And the Brigandine in La Mesa and Coronado are good too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is such a gorgeous photo of the both of you. Love shines out from both your faces. It made me smile as soon as I saw it. Happy Birthday, DJan... if it is your birthday. Otherwise, have a wonderful every day!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.