Saturday, November 16, 2019

A feast of color and a wedding

Fallen leaves
Walking back from the bus last week, I saw this lovely carpet of leaves after a brief rain shower, brightening the color, where before the rain they looked much less brilliant. A bit of wetness makes a huge difference. We are currently experiencing some rain, which is actually rather welcome after an unusual dry period in late October through early November. We are some six inches of rainfall short of average for the period.

This morning we ladies walked with the threat of rain, but other than a few drops, we were rain free. And then it started, after we quit, and has been raining ever since. How lucky is that? Some of our walkers think it's our leader who has a knack for holding back the elements.

All of my siblings are gathered today in Texas for the wedding of one of my nephews. I was invited, too, but since I've only met him a few times in my life, and because it's such a long distance to fly, I sent a gift and hope that everyone will take enough pictures that I can experience the event vicariously. Another reason I chose not to go is that the bride proclaimed a dress code for the women: semi-formal wear. I haven't had on a dress for so long I don't know if I still know how to wear one. But it's her special day, and she gets to make the rules for the event.

I am just a little sad not to be with them, but I hope they know that I am there in spirit. A grumpy old lady who doesn't travel well at all these days can send them many happy returns of the day from the comfort of her easy chair!
:-)

18 comments:

  1. I hope they take lots of photos for you! Semi Formal could be anything. I have a shirt that has gold sparkles in it that might be formal but not with my red plaid Paul Bunyan vest! She probably didn't want people showing up in holey jeans.
    Grumpy...not you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don’t like to fly any more either. I don’t want to travel any more really. I enjoy this island too much to leave my comfort zone.

    You’ll get some great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flying across the country? Not any more for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Semi-formal, to me means, you get to pick and choose. Black slacks with a sparkly top and flats...perfectly fine. So don't ever let that particular edict stop you. And grumpy is NOT the adjective I would ascribe to you. Pictures for you to vicariously enjoy? I am sure there will be plenty. And, if your easy chair is where you want to be right this moment; then that is perfectly fine too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I had to wear a dress I would be grumpy too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought it was only me who was a nonconformist or just a grumpy old guy.The last suit I owned was a 1966 model for my wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Neither grumpy nor old, DJan. You're a voice for change.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh boy, how I wish I could beg off those family get-togethers that require formal dress code. I've got a baptism to go to at beginning of Dec. and my neck is already showing strangulation marks from the tie I'm going to have to wear!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hum, didn't know one could dictate a dress code. Anyway, that is a long way to go. I am sure you are excused and will get plenty of pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still have my blue gown that I wore to my daughter's wedding in 2004. I have not worn it since.

    ReplyDelete
  11. DJan, we are very much alike in some things. First of all, I am constantly amazed at the beauty of fallen leaves. Our area lately since the high winds is covered with a thick carpet of Fall leaves. I love it! And I too haven't worn a dress in years. But if necessary, you can probably find formal wear with pants these days. However, traveling unnecessarily would not be my choice either - perhaps I'm getting to be a grumpy old lady too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope they take lots of pictures and share them with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Flying is a big no-fun to me anymore so I don't. The last wedding I couldn't make I sent a check. A little more than usual because I wasn't buying a plane ticker or hotel room. And the photos were great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a dress wearer of old, but I understand the reluctance to fly, these days it's no picnic. Sending a nice gift was very thoughtful, and I'm sure that with all the cameras at hand these days, pictures will be plentiful.
    What a lovely collection of leaves :)
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's a long flight, so you're excused.

    I don't have a suit, and it occurs to me that I've probably forgotten how to tie a tie.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't think I've ever heard of a dress code for wedding guests. Personally, I don't like dresses. I'm just a hudpucker country girl. The carpet of color is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just the word semi-formal makes me nervous. However, although I still have clothes from my daughter's wedding, I wouldn't feel comfortable in them. I think I'd wear what I wear at dress nights on a cruise. I agree you'd look great in slacks and some silky or sparkly top. Then again, I've had to skip weddings just because I lived too far away.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.