Saturday, August 31, 2019

Lovely final August day

Cool clouds
We've had some beautiful weather this past week, even with a little rain and reaching the 80-degree mark (for me, this was on the hot side). But today, it's pretty perfect, in the low 70s, and the trees around town are beginning to show their slow march towards autumn. The feeling of fall is in the air, and the days are getting noticeably shorter. We are 23 days from the equinox, two full months away from the solstice in June. As I said, pretty perfect.

Today eighteen of us (all ladies except for one; Gordon has joined us again) walked from the downtown Farmers' Market to the ferry terminal in Fairhaven, a round trip of about five miles. I did pretty well,  but I was nowhere near the front of the group. It was just fine with me to be in the middle of the pack, or even close to the back, but with a spring in my step just to be out and about.
Last Thursday's treat to myself
Since I still couldn't hike with the Trailblazers because of my knee, I walked the first part of today's walk with the ladies to Fairhaven and then took the bus back to town, so I wouldn't overdo it. (I'm learning patience, slowly but surely.) I treated myself to a delicious smoothie and sat and gazed at past hiking pictures while I enjoyed it. When I saw the pictures posted by both Trailblazer groups, my usual one and the other, I was just a tiny bit sad that I wasn't there with them, enjoying the absolutely gorgeous day.

I'm hoping to join them this coming Thursday, since it's only a seven-mile hike, with moderate uphill. And I could stop at any point and wait for them to return, since it's an out-and-back trip. I'm hoping to make it all the way to the glaciers, however. We'll see what happens. In any event, I am feeling better every day and hoping for the best.
:-)

16 comments:

  1. Fingers and toes crossed for Thursday - and hooray for being part of today's hike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Five miles is a good jaunt for someone who is still in "recovery".

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a name for those types of clouds, but I don't know it. Beautiful. Hope you get to hike Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It as good you didn’t overdo it today, Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you are getting back to your hiking routine. Gives you something to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't forget you have to get back. As they say when you hike down to the bottom of the Grand Canyon "Going down is optional ...coming up is not"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck for Thursday. I'm sure you've taken time to let things heal. I hope you do some stretching.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you feel up to the hike this Thursday! Patience...ya I know all about that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Today's walk kept those muscles tuned. I am really amazed and proud of you at your patience. You are doing everything right, Keep it up. Those clouds were amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you have been taking it easy. For you--LOL! Here's hoping you can go with on Thursday. Whether you make it to the glaciers or not, you would have a wonderful time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. ONLY 7 miles??? Yikes! Please be very careful with your knee. That smoothie looks wonderful. I wish you could send over some of your cooler temperatures. It's sweltering over here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am very impressed with your sensible recovery. Hope you havea gorgeous day on Thurs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A smoothie no doubt 'hit the spot' on such a beautiful day. Your weather DOES sound perfect...along with gorgeous sky.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, good for you. It's nice to be optimistic.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good luck! I'm glad you are on the mend, nearing new adventures! The mountains are calling you with their siren song.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.