Thursday, August 22, 2019

Not hiking again today

Lake Ann in 2013
My usual group of Senior Trailblazers is heading to Lake Ann and the Shuksan glaciers today. I am not with them, since my knee is still healing from the trauma I subjected it to last Thursday. At first I was not convinced that the knee pain is related to my tailbone/sacrum injury of a month ago, but now I'm pretty sure they are related. A few of the exercises that my acupuncturist gave me to do have demonstrated a clear correlation between them. This all started because of a 19-year-old injury that caused me to break my pelvis in 6 places and pretty much shattered the right sacrum.

I have long been aware that my right leg is not as strong, and that the loss of the internal iliac artery sustained at that time, along with nerve damage, would one day come back to haunt me. It seems this is that time. However, the good news is that my knee is gradually getting better, and I can carry out my usual activities, as long as I rest the area and don't stress it like I did last week. The Lake Ann hike is a difficult one, with lots of elevation gain, rocks to navigate, and plenty of sunshine to deal with. Not a good one for me today. I've done this hike at least ten times, maybe more, and look forward to the possibility of another visit one day, maybe next year.
Tomatoes galore
In the meantime, I am enjoying the lovely markets around town, showing off the beautiful fruits and vegetables that are now available. My own little garden has lots of those Sun Gold cherry tomatoes, pickles, and kale; everything else has been harvested. Late summer is a wonderful time in my part of the world.
Fall flowers
These beautiful bouquets of fall flowers were for sale, but after I admired them, I left them for others to buy. Uppermost in my mind is that if I'm good to my knee, I might be able to make next week's hike, or the one after that, if not next week's. The one thing I don't want to do is make the same mistake of trying to get back into the High Country too soon and suffer the consequences. You'd think I would learn my lesson, but it seems the one lesson I fail to learn is patience. Oh, the rationalizations I come up with continue to make me smile ruefully.

Time to pick up my latest book and enjoy the rest of the day in my easy chair. (I did get in some exercise at the gym today, not much, but some.)
:-)

18 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear that it is still giving you grief, and very, very pleased to hear you are looking after yourself. Take it as easy as your excercise addicted self can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to read that you're still not able to hike. Kudos to you for knowing what you need to do to get back to 100%.

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  3. Physical limitations are not easy to deal with. I know. I have to call myself up short often and ask myself "Can I even do that anymore?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd think that yoga would teach you more patience!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some injuries are difficult to identify and teat. In other words another injury put stress on your knee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Better to be careful and take more time to heal than overdo and be even worse. The time factor is hard, though. I'm seeing that with Terry's recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the colors at your market. The colors themselves would have cheered me up immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wise decision to not push yourself too hard! Patience is a hard thing to learn. Beautiful photo -- thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have mild scoliosis. I can be ok at times but a twist of my hips can throw out my knee. You were ok until you pelvis was jolted which put stress on that knee. Time helps me plus the right exercise and acupuncture.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you chose not to push yourself too early. You will be rewarded if you do wait. I know if my hip hurts, my favoring that side puts stress on my other side. Our parts are all connected. Keep enjoying the things you can and the things you want will happen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Patience. Not easy, but necessary. I still overdo and pay for it for days even after 15 years. Maybe we are just born optimists.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you're very smart to pick your hikes and activities carefully. And wishing your right knee a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know you want to be out there for the High Country Hikes...I know you are disappointed with your knee. I hope it is not too long before you are back out there. In the meantime be good to yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know I read this yesterday & commented...musta ignored the publish button. I've been known to do that before. If you take care now, you'll be out hiking in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Listening to your body! a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I had horrible knee pain resulting from a sports injury, but the MRI was normal. A sports doctor told me pain is referred downward -- that the source of my knee troubles was likely from my back. Several years later, an MRI of my back proved that to be true. I keep moving, do a lot of stretching, swim and use cannabis cream on my knees and back. So far, so good.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.