Tuesday, April 25, 2017

The century mark

Contemplation
My brother-in-law Pete took this picture of my father many years ago. It's been a favorite, though, for all the reasons you might imagine: it captures the essence of the workaday dissatisfaction that comes with getting up every day and going to work. Who knows what he was thinking? Plus, it's a classic.

Well, today Daddy would have turned 100 years old, but he didn't live that long. In fact, he was only 62 when he died of a heart attack. He is still missed today by all of us who love him. I would have forgotten completely except for Facebook, where several of my family members put up pictures of him and wished him a Happy Birthday.

In my memory, I can still hear him laugh, something he did often. And the love story of my parents will live forever in my heart. If they have birthday cakes in heaven, I sure hope Mama made him one. Maybe they will visit me tonight in my dreams. I can hope, can't I? Happy Birthday, Daddy!
:-)

17 comments:

  1. How very sweet! My Dad would have been 100 in 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Misty-eyed here.
    How lovely to remember love and laughter. It is hard to think of a better memorial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our good memories of those who have passed on are a gift they give to us every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a great photo! How wonderful that you have such great memories of your Dad and your Mom, Jan! Sweet dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's one of those photos that captured far more than the photographer saw. We always seem to remember the birthdays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photo and wonderful tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We girls never forget our Dads. I hope he visited you also. Enjoy those warm memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you got a sweet nighttime visit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Precious

    Your story made me teary-eyed...in a happy way, knowing he was so loved.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Precious

    Your story made me teary-eyed...in a happy way, knowing he was so loved.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this picture - I feel like he looks many a Monday morning while waiting for coffee!

    Happy birthday to your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good memories of your dad! You're a lucky woman!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you get a visit in your dreams!! My Dad only wore a robe when he was in the hospital:):)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've requested the dream, now it will happen!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy birthday in heaven to your dad. Aloha from Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What beautiful memories of your dad, I thought he was stood on a set of scales and looking down :)
    My dad died at 58 so very young to lose our dads.
    I'm hoping he and your mum celebrated in heaven.
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so glad you have such loving, wonderful memories of your parents. 62 was far too young to leave you. I hope you got your dream.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.