Tuesday, April 11, 2017

It's that time of year again

Baby veggies
I bought my first pair of gardening gloves for the season, and some pansies and heather to plant in my front porch garden. In a week or so, I'll put the first of the vegetable starts into the plot in the back, but this year I'm limiting what I grow to just a few favorites, and I think I'll put lots of bee-friendly flowers in there as well. Oh, and tomatoes when the time comes (it's not time yet).

I took a look at the Bloom Map at the Tulip Festival in Skagit County just south of us, and it's still early to view the fields of tulips. The daffodil fields are all at their peak, but it's really the tulips that I go to see. By the end of this week they will be out. As a retired person, I don't have to attend on the weekends when everybody else goes, and this Sunday is Easter as well. Next week will be soon enough. Take a look at this picture from this date two years ago:
April 8, 2015
Yes, that's what I expect to see when I visit next week. I hope I will have a sunny day for the trip south. We had glorious sunshine today, but the rain returns tonight, and we'll have at least two or three days of more drippy weather before it turns nice again.
:-)

20 comments:

  1. Ooh, be still my beating heart !
    Simply magnificent ....
    I like the sound of 'lots of bee-friendly flowers'.
    I can't wait to see what you decide on planting.
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! Worth a visit to see such colour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo Hoo.
    Vegies and tulips. I always look forward to your tulip festival.
    This weekend we hope to plant a couple of hundred here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is time to THINK about planting, but it is still to cold to do much. Nighttime temps have to stay in the mid forties and last night it dipped below 40 again. I really am getting tired of the cold.
    Jill and the kids want to go see the tulips this year, so we will have to go on a weekend. We have set Sunday, the 23rd as the date, since that is the only weekend date Tom and I have free for a while. Some of our tulips are beginning to bloom here in our yard, but full color is a ways off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm trying to figure out a time to visit out local tulip farm....sadly I'm not retired so I'll end up on a weekend with the masses....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hoping to see some of those ourselves this year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never seen tulips in the field, so it will be nice to see your photos if you go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your blog. The background is beautiful and my favorite picture of you. I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes! Soon time for your garden. Curious to see what you plant this year. Those tulips are just amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's interesting to see how much earlier you can plant than we can. However, we catch up to you in a hurry when we get started.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The trip to the tulip gardens sounds so wonderful. I wold love to do that. We have a friend who lives in the Netherlands and she sends beautiful photos of the tulips fields there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Isn't it wonderful being retired? We can shop when the stores are not busy and be entertained when events are less crowded. Ahhh. Have a wonderful time next week and take lots of pictures so we can go with you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great pics! I just bought some red pepper plants and some curly parsley to start a container garden on the south side (where there's sun!). The back is all shade and the front only has room for some hanging herbs. Those tulips are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always love your posts about the tulip festival - I love seeing the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I need to get out in the garden and do some weeding. Can't believe it's time to get your veggies in again. How I envy your trip to the tulip fields.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wasn"t that gorgeous? Make sure you more this year to share! It's great to be able to go on 'off' days, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh! That's about the time we were with you at RoozenGaarde! It was such a wonderful day and one we'll always treasure. This is a gorgeous photo!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I always look forward to your Tulip post! :)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.