Saturday, April 29, 2017

Another dry walk

Shirley and Kathy on the trail
Another lovely morning for a walk with the ladies. Nine of us met at the trailhead for Lake Whatcom's North Shore. This three-mile-long trail was once an old railroad bed, which means it's pretty flat, and since it's right on the lake, it's got great views and plenty of shade from the trees and other shrubbery. Not that we usually need shade, just on those two days a year when it's hot. (smile)
Green carpet of... something
I admired all the green around us, and then we came across this carpet of some plant that was so dense and thick that it mystified me as to what it might be. If I return in another month, I'm sure that whatever it is will be totally changed from today. We saw plenty of my nemesis, buttercups, along with stinging nettles, which are just right for picking and steaming, if one is a mind to. My friend Peggy has already enjoyed them several times this year. They sell them at the Farmers' Market, although they are abundant everywhere around here. However, they must be picked and that can be a rather painful endeavor.

Before the rain comes, I'm heading out to my garden to plant a few veggies. For some reason I'm in a very good mood today, and I'll transfer some of that happiness to my plants.
:-)

17 comments:

  1. I just don't get those stinging nettles. They are the most awful plant. You can only pull them if you wear a thick rubber glove, otherwise you get pricked. They started growing in our backyard with no warning. Don't know where they came from but I would sure like for them to stop popping up each spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were taught that if you are bold when you pick stinging nettles you won't get stung. Which is a fib.
    Enjoy your day/weekend and mood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your garden adventure today, Jan. Such glorious green on your walk this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had your enthusiasm for the garden. I bet you did all the weeding and finished your planting today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your trail , sun and greenery look like a very inviting place to walk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you have a wonderful gardening year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you had a dry walk. It was a beautiful day today (in the PNW a good day is one where it isn't raining!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's late now on Saturday. We had a bust day of garden touring and lunch out with the garden group and then a sounders game tonight. If you planted today, they may be getting watered tonight. We had rain in Seattle during the game. and it was so cold still. Will winter never end?
    Hopefully the week to come will warm up. We all feel the need to get our gardens planted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Today the wind here is making it feel like -1C. We cannoy plant outdoors till end of May. How nice that younare feeling so happy. It makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hopefully your good mood will transfer to us blog readers as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sunshine and happy plants! What more can anyone want. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Didn't know stinging nettles were edible. I had just one painful experience with them and learned my lesson. Always impressed with the lushness of your area.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lots of greenery over there. Over here, lots and lots of rain.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I visited you yesterday, but was unable to comment. My server on this side of the states wasn't cooperating. Anyway, it's so green, so beautiful. We need your rains.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the walks along old railway lines. You really feel as if you're getting somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your good mood should send growing vibrations to your planting. What? You can eat stinging nettles. I remember brushing against those once and learning how they earned their name.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.