Thursday, October 24, 2013

Heliotrope Ridge 2013

Al on the trail, checking his GPS
Today, eleven Senior Trailblazers decided to head up to Heliotrope Ridge, a hike we haven't been able to do for years now, since the streams were almost impossible to cross, and the road has been closed until just last week. So, off we went on a moderate hike to see the Coleman and Roosevelt glaciers on Heliotrope Ridge. Here's some pictures and a description of our hike in 2010.
A simple stream crossing, nothing like last time
A couple of years ago, we tried to do this hike and were unable to cross this stream, since it was incredibly intimidating. Today, not so much. There was a little bit of leftover snow from an earlier snowfall, but it's been an amazing set of ingredients to give us this today: when we left Bellingham at 8:00am, it was in dense fog. When we returned at 3:30pm, it was STILL in fog, but a short half-mile outside of town, the sun is shining, and the temperature higher than anywhere near the coastline.
Coleman glacier
In a few short miles to this view, on a well-maintained trail with little to no streams to cross (very unusual for this hike during the summer months), we came to this view of the glacier. It's almost close enough to touch, really! And Mt. Baker is just to the right of this view. Both the Coleman and Roosevelt glaciers are here to enjoy, and although there was a light breeze, the full sunshine meant we were almost warm during our lunch stop.
Enjoying lunch sitting next to a glacier
I begged everybody to let me get a picture of them in front of the glacier, so they complied. Linda suggested that they all turn their faces toward the sun, so that they wouldn't be in shadow, and it worked quite well. Everybody is in the picture except me, who is on the other side of the camera.
Group shot
We had two new hikers with us today, Kirk and Carol, who are in the middle of this picture. I had no problem asking Doug to take a picture of me in front of the glacier, but instead of showing it to you, I will grace the last picture of this post with Mt. Baker, who has been absent so far, because of the glorious glaciers we've been enjoying. Roosevelt glacier is lighted by the sun in front of Mt. Baker, looking to be so close we might have decided to make the summit just for grins.
Hello, my friend Mt. Baker
Not really. This would have been beyond our ability, not to mention that I would still be up there trying to make the summit before it grew dark. When we got into our cars and headed back into town, I was simply amazed to find that we descended into fog again, after a full day of sunshine and joy in the High Country. Wow!
:-)

22 comments:

  1. how cool to be able to do a hike you've not been able to complete before. the glacier group shot is neat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad the road was opened so you could hike there. The pictures were great with "no" fog! We've been vacationing & I'm trying to get over a cold, hope to be out hiking again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. they all look like they are gazing off to the next big hike...smiles...cool picture....we might actually get a little snow tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What spectacular photos! I have never seen a glacier in person, so this post was great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always felt a little smug when this would happen. You gain a little altitude and you're in the sun. Nothing better than more hikers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, I am now referring to you and your hiking buddies as the wild bunch. Drop the senior. You guys rock.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, wow and wow again. What a beautiful day you took us on. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I need to go to the mountains. I hear I only need to get to 2000 feet to be out of this foggy soup.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow...what a trip!!! Certainly this would be a trip of a lifetime for me as I've never been up close to a glacier before.

    Beautiful scenes as always DJan

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like that picture looking into the sun. Everyone showed up well and it doesn't look posed. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've forged a few streams myself. In the jungle. I wonder if I'll ever do it to see a glacier. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a neat picture all looking up to the sun.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great pics as usual, DJan. I love enlarging your photos... feels like I'm right there with you guys.

    and glaciers fascinate me. Don't know why, but ever since I saw my first ones in Alaska, there's just something about them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow, what beautiful scenes you have for us today DJan. I love the shots of Mt. Baker. I have seen many glaciers but often they were covered in fog, nice to see a sunny one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dreary here too all week,today the sun was out finally! I love the name of this Ridge and always wonder if Helitrope grows there?
    Those glaciers are awesome. You had another wonderful hike! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was humming "Climb every Mountain"..... looking at that group shot. Wow, how neat is that, sitting next to a glacier for lunch and have new hikers along with you to experience the beauty and the pass. Lovely photos DJan :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice to have some newbies join the hiking group. Looks like you all were in great shape and enjoyed the day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We have been gone for almost a month and just returned. I saw some nice scenery while away but nothing like the scenery you show us – it is nice to get back home and look at my favorite blogs again (I did not have my computer and my daughter published the comments.) I think this ridge has also a lovely name “Heliotrope” – very evocative and a pretty purple – goes well with your purple jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would have liked to see the one of you, too, in front of the glacier. I sure do love our hikes, Djan! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful pictures again D-Jan. The glacier is absolutely stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fantastic hike, DJan. Your hiking group has really grown. Word must be getting around about all the wonderful things you're seeing.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.